hf1

Please tell me about co-sleeping

My avatar
donna4
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Please tell me about co-sleeping

Postby donna4 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:47 am

I'm breastfeeding and heard it's better to co-sleep, but do I need anything? Xxx

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Please tell me about co-sleeping

Postby justme123 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:55 am

No - just a bed :-)

I tend to put her down in her cot when she first goes down for the night, then once she wakes to feed she comes in with me for the rest of the night. You do need to think about making sure they can't roll off the bed once they are old enough to move though :wink: And make sure there are no pillows / blankets that can cover her face or cause overheating.

It is so much easier not having to get out of the bed in the night to feed :-)

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:57 am

justme123 wrote:No - just a bed :-)

I tend to put her down in her cot when she first goes down for the night, then once she wakes to feed she comes in with me for the rest of the night. You do need to think about making sure they can't roll off the bed once they are old enough to move though :wink: And make sure there are no pillows / blankets that can cover her face or cause overheating.

It is so much easier not having to get out of the bed in the night to feed :-)

WSS, Darcie goes to bed in her cot at bed time and then when she stirs for her 'dream' feed at about 11pm she comes into our bed :)

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:05 am

If you've got enough room in your room for a the cot I'd take a side off it and push it to the bed. Make sure you can get the matresses level some way, I used duvets and blankets to pad round the cot mattress.

If you've not got room for the cot, then nope :D We just put pillows round the edge of the bed to discourage falling off and teach them to get down backwards as soon as they can move really. Kacie was climbing off the bed backwards by the time she was 8 months, even though she couldn't yet walk :giggle: Mira wriggles all over the bed, but has yet to fall off.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:24 am

WTAS, plus you shouldn't really cover them with a duvet as they can get too hot. I don't use pillows anyway (other than to lean aganist when sitting up in bed) and we use sheets and blankets rather than a duvet.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:52 am

Think it's getting a setup that is right for you. We have cot with side off next to our bed. DH adapted it slightly so where the base sits makes the mattress flush with our kingsize bed. He bolted the beds together too. We got a new cot mattress (risk of SIDS if you reuse) and the previous one was foam so cut it then made a case for it out of OBV and it closes the gap on the far side. With Ella she slept and still sleeps from the early hours in the middle of our bed, but then it's a huge bed space we have with the cot as well.

Ella was cilmbing out of her cot bed backwards at about 7-8 months and has never fallen out of bed. We've found her alseep midway climbing out backwards though. :giggle:

I use a fleece blanket for myself so it's nice and light. In the winter I used two. DH has the duvet. Pillows I have two well above and to the left from baby's head so I shuffle over a little to feed and we still have plenty of bed space. Ella though slept in the middle sharing my blanket and sleeping sort of in the crook of my arm / body with head at breast height.

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:12 pm

we have a huge bed too which makes it easier. I always put him in the moses basket (really need to sort the cot out as he's too big for the basket.... :oops: ) to start the night, then in with me from when I'm too tired to sit up and feed him anymore (usually the first night feed around midnight) I have the duvet right up to under my boobs, and he goes on top of it with his head on my arm (need this to reach my small boobs....) He's warm enough being in a grobag, and if I'm cold I put the arm that's uncovered through my robe and use it as an extra blanket for me. Once mine were older and still coming into our bed, they just had a pillow in between our pillows. Last night I had Ryan in the middle and Lucas on the outside of me.... :giggle:

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:34 pm

beffys wrote:Ella was cilmbing out of her cot bed backwards at about 7-8 months and has never fallen out of bed. We've found her alseep midway climbing out backwards though.

:giggle: Ah yes we've had this with Kacie once too!

Kacie regularly falls out of bed now she's 2, though she'd never fell out before :-? One of the reasons I've now put her in her toddler bed. Needless to say I regularly find her on the floor in the middle if the night now :giggle:

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:46 pm

We have a co-sleeping cot but don't really use it, if I put her in it she wriggles all the way until she's against me - she used to do it even when just a few weeks old and fully swaddled! :shock: :hohoho: So like the others said, just a bed, and the willingness to be kicked repeatedly by your bundle of joy sometimes!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler