hf1

Sleep problems with 7 month old - early wake up!

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Sleep problems with 7 month old - early wake up!

Postby jclmellor » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:51 am

hi,
DD is 7 months and for a long time she's been an early riser. it used to be 5-6am that she was waking up and now it's getting earlier, often it's 4.30am or earlier. i try to give her milk at that time but she refuses and just wants to get up and play... but then she doesn't last very long before she needs her morning nap (today it was an hour after getting up!).
i'm exhausted every day! any advice welcome!!! :wink:
x

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Sleep problems with 7 month old - early wake up!

Postby sophie2198 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:17 am

No lights , no talking and certainly no playing at 4.30am , no way!!!!

Realistically that's 2 hours too early no matter the age!

If she's not wanting milk fine but I certainly wouldn't be getting her up to play!

Where does she sleep? What is she doing when she wakes at this time?

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:34 am

:hug: :hug: You have my sympathy - Ewan did this.

He is still an early riser at 5:30 / 6am but the 4am thing used to kill me.

We simply made sure the room was blacked out, no play / chat / toys in the cot, just a cuddle and 'night night, it's still sleepy time' as if it were the middle of the night (which as far as I am concerned, it is!). It took about a week of this (boring him to tears) to get him to start going back to sleep consistently. To start with it took the whole hour (sorry!) but we got it down to 10 minutes by the end of the first week and after about 3 weeks he stopped waking at that time. Even at 2 we have occasional relapses but we take him back to bed and insist he stay there (usually one of use gets in with him now, but at least we all get more sleep). We used (and still use) a white noise as a sleep cue, so turning this on also cued him to the idea it was still sleeping time.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:38 am

I did a bit of sleep training with Martha when she went through this phase - laying her back down in the cot, no talking, blackout etc. Or one repetitive phrase over and over again as you lay them down. They get very frustrated (and I know not everyone will agree with me on this) but as you are with them you know they are not overly distressed. You don't leave them but rather gently reinforce that it's not time to get up.

It took a couple of days but it works. It sounds like it won't take too long as she is obviously too tired with going back for a morning nap.

Rushing off now but happy to chat more via pm if you want more info.

Crossed with Sim but sounds like the same thing

I think as a general rule if they wake at half 5/ six and are bouncing and ready for the day you have to live with it, but if they are tired then they need "help" - first morning I did it with Martha it took nearly an hour and a half, but within the week she was sleeping till 7 x

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:49 am

Both of mine have gone through phases of early waking and the Wake To Sleep technique has always worked for us. You can see the details HERE. It only works if they wake at roughly the same time each morning, so when its habitual waking.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:51 am

Completely agree with Ruth - I put up with the 5:30am wake up as he was(is) clearly not tired anymore and powers through till a normal nap time. When he was getting up at 4 / 4:30 he was a nightmare by 6am if he hadn't already crashed out facedown on the floor by then. I (or DH) always stayed with him until he was asleep so although he was frustrated he was never distressed or left alone. Lots of 'pick up, cuddle, put down' and one repetitive phrase.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:54 am

sim wrote:Completely agree with Ruth - I put up with the 5:30am wake up as he was(is) clearly not tired anymore and powers through till a normal nap time.

Yes, I agree too. Both of mine are early risers and typically Max wakes just after 6 and India about 6.30.

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby bekhi1983 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:06 am

:hug: We've been through this too, its nice to know you're not the only one with suitcases under your eyes, like the others have said keep it quite and don't over stimulate. it may take up to a few weeks to retrain but its worth it, be consistent and it will work. same goes for awkward bedtimes and naps, just be consistent, same repetitive phrase, pick up , cuddle, put back. They've both had a sleep cue toy, have found that it helps, Callums is a lullaby tigger we lay him down and switch it on, even if we have to do it over and over and over ......... :doh: Goodluck! xx

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:56 am

bekhi1983 wrote: its nice to know you're not the only one with suitcases under your eyes

:giggle:
I have an entire 5 piece luggage set under mine ....Gucci of course :wink:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler