hf1

Is this weight gain good for a breastfed baby?

My avatar
donna4
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Is this weight gain good for a breastfed baby?

Postby donna4 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Hello Zach is number 5 and the first 3 I only bf whilst in hospital, number 4 was only fed for a few weeks but it's going well this time round and ds is 7 weeks old and bf from day one everytime I have him
weight the say how good were doing ( he was 7 pound 6 1/2 oz at birth and today at 7wks 2days he weighs 12 lb 13 oz.)
I was just courious if this is how all baby's go when bf?
Thankyou for reading xxx

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Is this weight gain good for a breastfed baby?

Postby indigosky2k » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:19 pm

Where is he on the centile chart? Not that we give them much thought :giggle: 5lb in 7 weeks sounds good to me and something similar to what my girls gained in those early weeks if memory serves me :wink:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:30 pm

Sounds fabulous well done xx

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:13 pm

Sounds like a fab weight gain to me! Where is he on the centile chart? It's easy to plot it yourself if you don't want to see a HV (though make sure the chart in your red book is for BF rather than FF babies).

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby weebee » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:25 pm

that sounds gr8! My wee boy was 6lb3 born but dropped to 4lb15 so was well below the bottom centile :-( he's now 10lb12 at 12 weeks and nicely tracking the 2nd centile. Though his gain is slower than a lot of his peers I'm delighted with it! That said, I'm no longer that fussed on his weight gain as i tend to use his general health, well being, contentedness and general development as my main markers.

Return to Baby and Toddler