hf1

Late walkers

My avatar
clairegrace
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Late walkers

Postby clairegrace » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:24 pm

DD is 19 months and not walking unaided yet. She'll cruise and walk when holding a push toy and practically runs when you hold both her hands but she tends to sit down when you only hold 1 hand or let go. She gets around mainly walking on her knees and crawling when she needs some speed!

I'm not too concerned as she started taking a few unaided steps before falling a few weeks ago but has refused to do it since and doesn't really try to stand unaided very often either.

I've called the HV today and she's coming next week with a referral form for physio. I'll talk to her more when she gets here as I do get on with her and have seen her lots as DD also has a heart condition.

Has anyone else had a LO referred for physio? what happens? I'm a little :-? about it as we've had so many referrals for this and that that have turned out to be fine.

My avatar
baby_bufters
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Late walkers

Postby baby_bufters » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:31 pm

My DD2 didnt walk until she was 22mths.. I never saw it as a problem but OMG did she crawl fast

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:39 pm

Erin is 18 months now and has only just started to stand up, aided. She'll hold onto you hands and pull herself up onto her feet without any help but is fairly reluctant to take any steps... unless we're in the swimming pool. She've never learnt to crawl either, but has perfected the art of bum shuffling really well over the last couple of months :giggle:
I've not really seen it as a cause for concern, like most things, babies will do them in their own sweet time :roll:

She is a talker though, and by the sounds of things, babies either learn to walk earlier or learn to talk earlier, but rarely do both! She's also pretty clued up with numbers and counting, and will happily count fingers/buttons/raisins on her tray etc both forwards & backwards. She's up to 13 now though, so I've run out of fingers :giggle:

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:56 pm

My DD started walking at 17 months, which seemed very late compared to all the other children we know! When we went for our 12/13 month check she was doing everything expected at that stage and they did say that the general age children learn to walk is between 12 and 24 months, so quite a big range! When I mentioned it to one of the ladies that works at the Childrens Centre she said to maybe speak to the HV if she wasn't walking by 18 months. She also said that some children learn late if they are not given the opportunity to walk, ie they are sat in a highchair/pushchair pretty much all day! Well I knew that wasn't the issue with DD so wasn't too concerned about it. She is quite diddy for her age and I wonder if having tiny feet contributed to her late walking... if she'd walked at 11/12 months we'd never have found shoes to fit her I'm sure! Because she was doing the other things you say, like walking with a walker, cruising and pulling herself up to standing, I wasn't too worried at all.

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Kiara walked at 22 months and 2 weeks. We also got worried and refered to a physio who had a look and saw nothing physically wrong and just said to keep monitoring and send her back 6 months later if no improvement.
She used to go on her knees everywhere. And then, in her typical style, she just let go of my hand and started running.
She's a type of child who will do something only when she's 100% sure she can do it. So maybe your lo is like that too. :hug:

Return to Baby and Toddler