hf1

Anyone know baby sign?

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Anyone know baby sign?

Postby tiyuricc » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Over the weekend {} has started signing two things... we haven't taught her any, so it's either Mr Tumble or nursery. SHe never sits more than a min in front of the tv so I guess it's nursery. I think they supposedly do some makaton signing with the kids, although I've never actually seen them do it.

She's been tapping her wrist which seems to mean more, and another that I can't quite work out. It's very similar but tapping the elbow region (the otuside edge, not the pointy bit) instead of the wrist. SHe only does this one when I ask if she wants a drink and she says yes, and I then ask if she wants water or milk she then does this sign.

Does anyone have any idea what it means? I thought that milk was a vaguely 'milking the cow' action, and don't know what water is but it doesn't seem right. I imagine that drink would be a pretend drinking action. so i'm a little confused.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Last edited by tiyuricc on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
ImisMummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Anyone know baby sign?

Postby ImisMummy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:17 pm

Im a qulaified Makaton tutor. Tapping their elbow normally means biscuit! Imogen knows over 50 signs and biscuit and more are her favourites!

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:18 pm

From what you've described it sounds like she's signing 'biscuit' The sign is tapping the elbow twice.

:giggle: crossed posts, i've learnt makaton for work!

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:20 pm

:hohoho: she's got fat chance of that in this house... we never have biscuits in the house (otherwise i eat them all so i can't buy them)

thank you though, next time she does it i'll offer her a snack

My avatar
ImisMummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ImisMummy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:22 pm

Maybe they normally offer a biscuit or snack with their milk at nursery?

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:25 pm

quite possibly

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:28 pm

Oscar did a couple of signs but has never been to nursery or watched kids programmes, so must just be signs he has made up. He has one for drink where he puts his fingers together and one for 'wrap' where he rolls his hands round. I think he has watched me parcel to many items up for woozlewood as he does like to wrap objects up :giggle:

Anyway what I meant to say is that maybe its just her own sign for something. :D

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Max pinches his index finger and thumb together and put them to his lips meaning drink. The most common one though is the hand tapping for more - always food related :roll: :giggle:

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:34 pm

Water I thought (and amber knows) as index finger and thumb pinched together and drawn towards the mouth from th ear/upper cheek area. Unless that's bsl?

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler