hf1

When to start bedtime routine

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

When to start bedtime routine

Postby becky1978 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Saffron is 3 months old now and I wondered when to start putting her to bed. At the mo she stays downstairs with us either being cuddled (asleep) or asleep in her baby swing. The last couple weeks she has been having a feed around 7.30 to 8ish then sleeping til I wake her to change her before taking her to bed with us around 11-11.30. She then has another feed in bed before settling then til 4ish.
I was thinking of putting her to bed after her evening feed then changing her and feeding her upstairs. I would put a baby monitor on obviously, but I was wondering if it was too early, I really can't remember when we started putting Archie to bed.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: When to start bedtime routine

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:44 pm

We start a routine right away, obviously with e new new born it is a loose routine but our tiddlers have always been put to their beds after their 10-11pm feed and we have worked bed time forward from there. It worked well for us xx

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:36 am

If she is basically asleep then I think I would start a routine putting her in bed.

I keep thinking I will try with Isabel, but she is often still feeding all evening and not settling until 11-12pm so i think it could be difficult. I would like there to be some kind of routine by the time the kids go back to school though, otherwise it's going to be very hard to get everyone (me and baby in particular) up and dressed in time :giggle:

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby teganplus2 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:49 am

Well because of all of her medical issues we have only just got into a bedtime routine with Tegan and she is 21 months :oops: but the tiny's are 18 weeks and have been in a good routine for at least the last four weeks (we did them all together) Tegan goes up to bed at 9 with her daddy and then the tiny's get fed at 10 and then go up and sleep through, we're all in the same room else I'd probably try putting them down earlier but I have to wait till Tegan is settled and to be honest it's nice cos it give me time alone with them before they go to bed. I don't think it's ever really too early to start introducing it in the loosest possible way and then just "firming things up"
HTH :hug:

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:57 am

The earlier the better :giggle: Alesha went into a bedtime routine at 2days old off being put too bed at 7pm and this Is still the same only difference is she doesn't have milk anymore lol x

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:00 am

Sounds like she s settled herself into a routine of sleeping in the evening and therefore sounds like a good idea to put her ' to bed' at that time. I m pretty sure we did it at a similar time.
Xxxx

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:06 am

We had a routine with Ethan from about 8 weeks, and then with Rory from about 4 weeks. Our routine was just bath then bed once asleep. As little ones they always just had their last/evening feed in the bedroom, then we'd sit and rock them until asleep and creep away as quiet as a mouse... :D

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 am

Each baby is different so I would say follow your babies cues - and it looks like Saffron is starting to settle around 7.30-8 so I would start to put her to bed at that time :)

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:17 am

I would carry on with what you are doing. Babies under 6 months aren't meant to sleep on their own. The cuddles with you in the evening are increasing skin to skin contact and regulating heartbeat, temperature and breathing all of which raise serotonin levels and protect against SIDS. Babies were designed to be with their parents, you're just following mother nature's routine. :wink:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler