hf1

Testing the boundaries.

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Testing the boundaries.

Postby mummy_goose1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:45 pm

Well, my gorgeous little girl is now 10 and a half months old. She has been going down for naps pretty well now for a while. I lie her in her cot, and sit on a chair at the end of her cot. she can see me, but i face away from her, iyswim.
Normally she shouts at me a bit, and has a wriggle, but within 20mons max she is asleep, and we don't normally have any tears.
Well - now the little monkey has sussed out that she can stand up in her cot... :roll: which she thinks it totally hysterical (must admit - it is pretty cute!) so the last 2 nights have taken over an hour for her to go to sleep...!!! The 1st night i have to admit i prob got a bit ratty... and therefore wasn't very consistent in my behaviour... :oops:
but last night i stuck to my guns.. i didn't make eye contact, and every time she stood up i just lay her back down. We didn't have any tears last night, so im seeing that as an improvment! SHe has done the same for both naps today, and again, no tears - lots of laughing and chuckling (her not me!) and a lot longer than usual to go to sleep.

SO - point of the post - is this just a phase... and do you think i'm handling it right?????
(mil told me just to leave her and let her cry it out :nono: )

thank you! x

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Testing the boundaries.

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:48 pm

WOuld she cry if you just left her? We have always just popped ours to bed and they have self settled in 5-10 mins with no tears. She knows you are there so playing the standing up game is fun. Ooooor what about pop her in your bed and have a lie down with her :wink: I used to do that with G, she liked to have her hand held and would go out like a light in 2 mins and I would get half hour nap then get up and potter x

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:55 pm

if i leave the room she screams!!!!! up until now, me sitting in with her has always worked.... Also - she is still unsteady on her feet and if she falls she will hurt herself... at least if im in the room i can try to stop it or at least be there to comfort asap..
her in our bed just ends up being even more playtime..... i like to try and keep her in her room from bedtime.. so she knows its sleep time!!
Do you think if i keep ignoring it she will get bored of the game and just go sleep like she used to???

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:58 pm

yeah I think she will get fed up, I always think it is hard not to laugh and attract her attention though :giggle:
So long as there isn't any hard toys in her cot she will be fine is she bumps down or falls back, it will happen eventually when you are not there.
Take a book in with you and hide :giggle:

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:01 pm

I always think it is hard not to laugh and attract her attention though :giggle:

I only gave in once last night - when she peek-a-booed ove the end of the cot at me with a mahoosive grin on her face!!!!
Nope - no toys in the cot (mean mummy!) only her winnie the pooh bear - her sleepy teddy.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:16 pm

It depends what you hope to achieve. No eye contact teaches your child that you are not going to respond to her needs, so she will stop asking. 10 months is a typical time for change - development and growth spurt. I would stay with her and cuddle her with eye contact.

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:24 pm

nappynutter wrote:It depends what you hope to achieve. No eye contact teaches your child that you are not going to respond to her needs, so she will stop asking. 10 months is a typical time for change - development and growth spurt. I would stay with her and cuddle her with eye contact.

I Know i might be over sensitive, or just reading this wrong - but are you saying that if i don't give her eye contact at this time i am damaging her and stopping her responding and asking me in general? She isn't crying... she just thinks it's a game, and surely there are times that i need to be firm?!
Cuddles don't work, as she isn't upset, and wont sleep with cuddles - she likes to go to sleep by herself - she only falls asleep on me when she is poorly. Also, if she falls asleep in my arms at any time and then i try to put her down she becomes really really upset... whereas if she lies down and sleeps by herself she is happy.

Apologies if i have completely read this wrong??

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:27 pm

Could it be she doesn't need as much nap time? I think at about this age-1yr we were down to one a day, usually straight after lunch iirc.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:30 pm

It is a phase & how I dealt with it was to lie her down (like you do) but I would look at her & say "lie down please". After a couple of days, I was able to say lie down please & she would do it herself.

At 10 months I would say she needs 2 naps but it is a possibility that she can stay up a little later than usual now. She should be able to do 4 hours awake at the moment. I always found this age for naps difficult. They need 2 short naps which eventually becomes one longer one.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler