hf1

Testing the boundaries.

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Testing the boundaries.

Postby mummy_goose1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:53 pm

nappynutter wrote:However, I also don't see the need to be scheduling my babies naps or bedtime either, so perhaps we just have very different views on parenting.

lol - i don't schedule - i get the times from watching her cues - she just seems to get tired and need sleep at about the same times (hence why i put '9ish'!) and seems to wake at the same kind of time in the morning.
If she doesn't show signs of being tired, then i don't put her down! I was just describing the average!!

On the subject of bedtimes tho, it depends on the child - Martha has two little friends who are sometimes in bed for 6 and will sleep till 6.30 or 7 the next day (bliss!) but she has never really slept much more than 11 hours at night - at the moment she goes to bed at half seven and wakes about 7, but she doens't actually fall asleep at half 7 IYSWIM. She never has really slept 12 hours at night - even when she was having naps etc.

Hay is the same - she tends to go up at 7pm, be asleep by 7.30 and awake at 6/6.30 the next day.

I would follow her cues, notice when she's tired.

Will do!

thanks for all the help ladies!

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:17 pm

mummy_goose1 wrote:hmm.... yes ladies - i reckon i could prob limit her 2 daytime naps, she def still needs a morning one and afternoon. At the mo, she has 1.5hs morning and afternoon. should i just try to limit the morning one first... as this is the one she will prob drop first?

Lol, it was this post I was referring to. I have no idea when my little ones have naps or how long for - they just sleep when they are tired. I was trying to explain that I don't think about it or plan it, they just sleep when they need to, if that makes sense.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:56 pm

Both my girls were/are very hard to read when it comes to tiredness cues. When Maddy was a baby I read about how long babies of a certain age are able to stay awake for & I would look for cues from half an hour before that time. I knew I didn't want to schedule her but reading the baby whisperer book helped me to recognise the signs. My 2 would never just fall asleep when they were tired, unless I had put them to bed.

Based on your baby being able to stay awake around the 4 hours, going to bed at 9ish works but when she goes down to one nap she should be tired around half 6 or 7.

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:21 pm

update - tonight she was asleep within 30mins! she stayed in her bath until the eye rubbing started, and was falling asleep during stories... so i was hoping she was tired!!
She did stand up... but not loads, and each time i told her it was 'sleepy time' and lay her back down (cue giggles!!)
after about 20mns she just lay down, and then sang herself to sleep!!
fc it continues, and i think i will try to shorten the morning nap and see how we go.

Thanks again ladies! x x

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler