hf1

Giving up the juice.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Giving up the juice.

Postby gayleygoo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:56 am

My two are serious juice addicts. "Juice" is one of the few words Daragh can say, and apparently his favourite one, he demands it constantly, steals cups of it from other children, and refuses to drink milk or water (he's hardly drunk any milk at all since he stopped BFing a few months ago). Molly doesn't drink quite as much as he does but she still wouldn't drink milk or water, nor will she drink very weak juice or watered down pure juice. They even have juice cups for going to bed :oops: I know that is so bad for their teeth but by their bedtime I'm usually all out of strength to deny it.

We haven't had any juice in the house for two days, we just haven't bought any, and literally the only liquid they have been drinking is the juice cartons the grandparents bought them yesterday and the day before, because they think the children will otherwise die of thirst if I don't give them juice :-? They've had the odd sip of water/milk, but only enough to realise what it is and then it's been put down, Daragh's nappies have been very dry and Molly's pee is a horrible yellow colour. They had a small glass of pure orange this morning, Molly is now complaining she is thirsty but wont drink the water offered. Maybe I should offer milkshake? Are there any good milkshake mixes out there? Daragh doesn't seem to like any dairy products, not even cheese or yoghurt.

This is hard, which is why I've put it off so long. I hope they end the water strike soon!

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Giving up the juice.

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:00 am

Could you gradually dilute the juice more and more until they are drinking water hun? Then you would be achieving what you want but without them really noticing as such. No other ideas i'm afraid as T loves milk and water x

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:15 am

Off fruit? Like melon with juices/water in to help thirst you don't want them to dehydrate

I think innocent smoothies are good but then you could be just swapping the juice for the smoothies/milkshake and have same issues later on

I'd just have lots of water available and perhaps get them to choose their own beaker/cup/bottle thing to use for their water (I know D may be a bit young but if M drinks her water out of her cup he might copy )

Xx

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Maybe some water with food colouring in?

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:08 pm

pinksalmon2001 wrote:Could you gradually dilute the juice more and more until they are drinking water hun? Then you would be achieving what you want but without them really noticing as such. No other ideas i'm afraid as T loves milk and water x

I'd go down this route
The juice James has is more water which has had a splash of squash in it.
Just enough to give a slight hint of flavour.
He drinks water only at nursery and is quite happy to drink water out of a sports bottle, but not out of a glass

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:05 pm

i had the same with Maddy. Ended up going completely cold turkey last year. She did hold out for a while but we got there in the end. She occasionally has watered down juice as a treat now but we have become a water only house.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:13 pm

fruit is a good option, grapes melon etc all help thirst. What about flavoured water to start with, surely that is better for teeth. Juice at bed time is ok so long as their teeth are brushed after it x

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:19 pm

Kirstyh wrote:fruit is a good option, grapes melon etc all help thirst. What about flavoured water to start with, surely that is better for teeth. Juice at bed time is ok so long as their teeth are brushed after it x

Aside from the teeth issue, juice makes my kids pee loads so not want you want before bed.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Caroline wrote:
Kirstyh wrote:fruit is a good option, grapes melon etc all help thirst. What about flavoured water to start with, surely that is better for teeth. Juice at bed time is ok so long as their teeth are brushed after it x

Aside from the teeth issue, juice makes my kids pee loads so not want you want before bed.

:giggle: true, ours all have warm milk before bed still and ermm so do I!!!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler