hf1

Babies/toddlers and duvets

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Babies/toddlers and duvets

Postby happytails » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:02 pm

Currently 8 months (as of today!) and has a cotbed with a grobag. He sleeps on his side generally but moves alot when getting to sleep.

When is it safe for a duvet and when did you introduce one instead of grobag? I think he gets annoyed feeling restricted but I don't want him getting cold at night kicked duvet off!

We only introduced a blanket when dd had her Cot converted into a bed and I didn't want her trying to walk in a grobag so clueless about any earlier really lol

Sarah x

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Thankyou Moderators :)

Re: Babies/toddlers and duvets

Postby Allie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:05 pm

I thought the recommended age for a duvet was 12 months but I'm not certain. I don't think we introduced one before a year old iirc :D

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:09 pm

recommended is 12 months. Of course T has had a "duvet" since birth as hes always co slept but has his own quilt on his bed which hes had from just past 12 months. Id consider it for a younger child if they were exceptionally mobile and were in the same bed/right next to my bed at night.

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:26 pm

We have just bought a duvet for Darcy (14 months) as she has doesn't sleep well in sleeping bags and just kicks a blanket off. So far so good, although she does prefer to sleep on top of it and not underneath :roll:

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Austin only got a duvet after moving to his bed.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:03 pm

DS only got a duvet when he moved into a bed at 16 months. Recommendations are 12 months for a pillow. I didn't realise it was for duvets too.

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:21 pm

We did duvet and pillow at about 14 months, so she'd get used to that before we take the sides off her cot.

Don't think there's a strict age thing about age and duvets, after all, a duvet isn't much difference to a blanket.

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:47 pm

I think it applies to heavy duvets rather than quilt type ones the theory being a small baby wouldnt be able to breathe through one or get out from under it if it were heavy/bulky.

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:48 pm

i have only just given Ruairidh a duvet a few weeks back and he's 27 months :giggle: he was just too wriggly before now and was cold a lot so i just stuck with the sleeping bags.
I think duvets are not recommended as the are a higher tog so can cause them to overheat easier.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler