hf1

Rash on elbows?

My avatar
meowow
Clothie
Clothie

Rash on elbows?

Postby meowow » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi everyone :) I noticed today my LO (13 weeks) has a little rash on both elbows? I think this could be Eczema? I bath him every night in simple baby wash, and apply E45 every night too, im wondering if it's maybe my washing powder/fabric softener? Any suggestions? Oh the rash is only on his elbow nowhere else. Sometimes he does get little red spots/lumps over his body also? Thanks :)

My avatar
Twinkleroo
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Rash on elbows?

Postby Twinkleroo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:31 pm

when my eldest was 2(ish) she developed eczma and thefirst thing doc asked me was how often do i bathe and wash her...basically it cleared up as soon as i stopped bathing her so much and only ever use completely organic products on her skin. When DD2 was born she didn't have more than 1 bath a week just topped ant tailed daily with water! :oops: and their skin has a protective layer on it meaning in the early weeks they don't need any added baby soaps. Dd2 didn't have any shower gel or shampoo for the first year, she never smelt 'bad' either! :wink: It might be something completely unrelated for your LO, if your worried your HV might be able to help :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:39 am

When DD was newborn she would get one bath a week as well and we also didn't use wash products, just plain water. Now she has a bath every other day and we use porridge oats tied up in a muslin in the bath, which makes the water less drying and keeps her dry skin softer. We also sometimes use Earth Friendly bubble bath (you can get it in Waitrose/Boots I think, we've been using the same bottle for over a year because we only put a tiny bit in).

Are you :bf: ? Have you eaten anything different recently? DD had a big eczema flare up when she was a few months old after I ate some prawns, it took ages (months) to get better.

My avatar
meowow
Clothie
Clothie

Postby meowow » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:52 am

Hi thanks for your advice guys, I think I'm just going to stop using the wash, I use dentinox craddle cap shampoo as he has a little at the moment, which worked because when I stopped using it and used normal baby shampoo it came back. Never heard of putting oats in the water ? :o might try that one. I do breastfeed but I haven't eaten anything unusual/different... Not that I really keep track of what I eat... Thank you :)

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:57 am

Yeah, the oats are good, makes the water all milky, you can rub the muslin bag on the skin, it's nice, I tried it on my skin just to see. Aveeno is made from oats, and there is an oat bag thing you can buy in Lush.

We've never used shampoo on DD. Hair is supposed to be self cleaning (I'm told), so we just use water (and she doesn't have a lot of hair anyway :giggle: She did have cradle cap when she was younger but we just let it clear up on its own.

Oh we also put in a squirt of Burt's Bee's baby oil to the bath, makes it smell nice :wink:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:39 am

Cradle cap can be a sign of food intolerance as well. Would you consider cutting down on your dairy to see if it helps?

My avatar
meowow
Clothie
Clothie

Postby meowow » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:47 am

Hi, I only have dairy in the one cup of tea I have a day, unless butter on my bread counts lol. I will try avoiding dairy to see if this helps LO instead of using all the lotions I have. Thanks for your advice. Definately going to try the oates :) x

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:56 am

A calendula cream/balm from the health shop will work a treat too.

Return to Baby and Toddler