hf1

When to put LO forward facing in the pushchair?

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

When to put LO forward facing in the pushchair?

Postby Mungo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:23 pm

My DS is a year old and I still have him rear facing in his pushchair :oops: People keep asking me when I'm going to turn him round so he's forward facing. I have tried it a few times and he seems happy either way, but when he's forward facing I miss him :oops: With the hood up I can't see him at all, and with the hood down I can only see the top of his head. I love having him forward facing because I can see his little face and talk to him, and when he points to trees/cars etc I can tell him what they are. But is he missing out on 'seeing the world'? Anyone else have a LO of this age still rear facing? I'm not sure what to do for the best.

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: When to put LO forward facing in the pushchair?

Postby mummy_goose1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:53 pm

ha! I am having the same issue! H is nearly 11months (on sat) and i LOVE her facing me, and freak out a little when she isn't (which is only if we use mil's pushchair, or hubby put the pram up before i get chance to change it)
Can some of you very experienced and knowledgable mummies come on and tell us some great research etc to encourage them facing parent. i have no intention of forward facing H at all. we have sooo much interaction.
sorry i haven't actually given any advice!!!! :oops: :oops:

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:58 pm

I never bothered with forward facing - I have an Icandy Apple and even now if Tyler goes in it (which is rare) he faces me so I can talk to him! I do have a forward facing stroller but that is in the car and he literally goes in that for 5-10 minute journeys but if I am walking a distance I always use either the sling or the Icandy xx

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:07 pm

I never did with Soph. She still goes facing me at almost 3 :)

My avatar
lainey1978
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby lainey1978 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:21 pm

When we used our big pushchair both were always facing me. When around town from about 6 months we used a buggy but any walks we went on were always with the pushchair much more fun for interaction I think x

My avatar
rosiesnappies
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby rosiesnappies » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:44 pm

Sam faced me till Lottie was born really! My mum's a speech therapist and had been on a course which had research about forward facing buggies and they measured the babies stress hormone and it was significantly raised in babies forward facing to rear facing as they couldn't see mum to check everything was ok. So she is a big supporter of rear facing pushchairs and you talk to your baby much more as theyy point things out to you, I could never hear sam forward facing esp if we were on a busy road.

My avatar
ruth+daisy+poppy
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby ruth+daisy+poppy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:12 pm

Still rear face Daisy at 20months (except for in the stroller buggy). Occasionally in the main one she goes forward but we both prefer facing each other.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:15 pm

For us, it depends which pushchair we use. If we use the buggy, he's facing out, but Bella is always chattering awya to him and I rarely have the hood up. Whenever we stop or go on the bus, I make sure he's facing me.

If he's in the bigger pram/pushchair, he can be either forward or rear facing, depending on how nosey he's being and how tired he is. If he's really tired, he seems to like facing me more, I think it gives him reassurance that I'm there and he feels safe.

If you and your LO are happy being parent facing, keep it that way. There's no reason to turn them around if you don't want to.

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:36 pm

we have a bee and a buzz for Aimie ( :giggle: never written them together like that) and they are both still rear facing, I don't think I will ever have her forward facing at all

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler