No more milk?

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

No more milk?

Postby mummy_goose1 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi again!! :giggle:

Took H to the Health Visitor to be weighed today, and she told me that past a year old she does not need to drink any milk? Hay is formula fed and currently has one bottle when she wakes up, and another when going to bed at night.. boh in bottles. HV also said that i should already be giving both in a sippy cup - NOT a bottle...and should start to wean her off both. But she loves her milk!! and for a not very cuddly girl these are my only guaranteed 'cuddle times'!!! Is it right for them to stop so early? In the past when have babysat other people's children, they have all had a bottle of milk, or a cup for older children before bed? and i know if you breast feed a lot of women carry on for well over a year?
I've already decided that i'm not stopping!! but just wondered what others do/have been told etc???

My avatar
baby_bufters
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: No more milk?

Postby baby_bufters » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:47 pm

My DS still has it before bed and is nearly 3. :oops:
He is my child and i say when he has it and not and not some HV

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:47 pm

A dietician at the childrens centre told us about 500mls from 1-3yrs i think, but this can include yogs, cheese etc. Jen only has 1 cup of milk in the am now, about 250mls, a yog and some cheese per day. shes almost 2, she had 2-3 cups of milk (aboput 500mls total) until 18months. Shes never had bottles, so not sure on that front!

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:05 pm

That sounds like total utter rubbish tbh!!! I don't know any LOs that have stopped having milk at that age. I will give Darcy milk until she wants to stop. We weaned from :bf: to cows milk in a cup at 12 months for the morning feed then swapped her night time :bf: to cows milk in a cup at 14 months. So now Darcy has one large cup of cows milk when she wakes up and then one before bed. We had no problems at all getting Darcy to drink milk from a cup but then she never took bottles so it was probably easier than trying to swap bottle for cup.

I have given up with HVs as they all have such different 'advice' to give that I think its best to just go with what you feel is right for your own child!! :wink:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Amelie has cow's milk in a bottle. Granted she should have it in a cup but at the same time, as long as you are cleaning her teeth on a regular basis, it won't do any harm

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:02 pm

Does she mean swapping formula to plain cow's milk?

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:24 pm

lazylexis wrote:Does she mean swapping formula to plain cow's milk?

nope! apparently from 1yr old they don't need to drink any milk, so i shouldnt be giving it to her at night or morning...
which i think is a bit weird.
although... H is a tubby baby (its my genes unfortunately - we're all chunky babies!!) so i know they are prob saying that if she gets enough dairy from foods.. then she shouldn't have extra... but i just feel that it is very young to stop it al together?!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:34 pm

My 2 started on cows milk when they were one, a cup in the morning and a cup at night. They still both have a cup in the morning and one at night if they ask for it. Jonah will be 5 in December and he loves his milk!

I don't understand why she told you to stop.......crazy lady.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:38 pm

lazylexis wrote:Does she mean swapping formula to plain cow's milk?

i would have thought this too - at 12m they can change to full fat cows milk, so no need to spend so much on formula.

also, sippy cup should be fine at that age - i find the 'anyway up cups' the best, everything else leaks before long.

as others have said, the reccommended amount of dairy takes into account cheese and yoghurt , but i think very few kids have enough of those on a daily basis to not have any milk at all.

sounds unfortunately like you've not been given the best advice by your hv.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler