hf1

No more milk?

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: No more milk?

Postby scarlet » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:41 pm

I would think she would mean formula and not cow's milk. If she does include cows milk in this then I would guess it would be a case of the child having milk for breakfast and yoghurts cheese ect . But think its a bit of a board statement to say all children don't need to drink any form of milk past a year, especially seeing as babies can't drink cow's milk before a year.
I wouldn't give formula to a baby over a year but at the same time if we had of had a routine that included formula before bed ( lets say for an example) then maybe would as it was part of the bed routine.
What I would say is that formula over a year isn't essential and you could save a lot of money by switching.
In regards to the cup thing they are recommending cup use for drinks from 6months. I always cringe when I see toddler's drinking juice from a bottle but each to their own I guess.
Just remember lots of children do have formula past a year and its not a life or death situation . But I know when HV or MW say stuff like this it can be a bit worrying , as they make you feel like your doing something wrong.
:hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:02 pm

nope - she def meant ANY milk!! I'm more than happy to switch to cows milk, and was thinking that in a while i will change her morning milk to a beaker, not bottle, but keep the bedtime one for a bit longer.
I don't still want her having a bottle forever... but she's still my baby!!!!!!!

My avatar
cath
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby cath » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:31 pm

Charlotte is 19 months old & still has at least 3x8oz bottles of cows milk a day, some days it can be 4 or 5 bottles. At 12 months, I weaned her from BFing to cows milk & expected her to gradually reduce the amounts she wanted but she is still a complete milk monster. She eats solids well & isnt getting podgy so I let her carry on with it, I figure there are worse things for her to be demanding!

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:56 pm

We've just completed a very gradual change from formula to full fat cows milk. He has had his morning milk in a sippy cup since 12 months & then since 14 months his bedtime milk in a cup too.

He wouldn't tolerate cows milk warm or cold to begin with, he just spat it out, so we just added the cows milk to the formula in increasing amounts over the last few months (I think it was the sweetness he was noticing) now he'll drink full fat cows milk warm for bed & cold the rest of the time. He occasionally gets the milk out of the fridge & asks for some during the day instead of water or (very watered down) juice so that's fine in my book.

My 13yo still enjoys milk so why should a 1yo stop drinking it??? Sounds like madness to me!!!

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:04 pm

Sounds like a load of nonsense to me. My two love their milk, both in the morning and at bedtime. 'Please can you get me my milk?' is usually the first words out of their mouths in the morning!! :giggle: If she enjoys her milk then I would keep it. Have you tried her with a sippy cup, she might surprise you.

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler