hf1

Moving a co-sleeper to a cot at 13 months - help!

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Moving a co-sleeper to a cot at 13 months - help!

Postby Rufies mama » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:06 pm

My LO is 13 months and has pretty much been in with me in the kingsize bed since the beginning. I'm now wanting to move him into a cot, for two reasons; firstly, I'm a night worker and I want to go back to work on night shifts, for this he'll need to be able to sleep in the cot so that Granny or Daddy can take care of him. The other reason is that OH and I are TTC baby #2 and I'd like to have my bed back to myself for a bit before the next little suckling co-sleeper comes along, also I don't want him to be shocked when he gets turfed out of mummy's bed only to be replaced with another wriggler, I'd like him to be well ensconced in his own bed by the time #2 comes along.
So, so far the steps I've taken are that there is a cot bed pushed right up to our bed, LO has his bedtime stories while laying in the cot (so he does associate it with bedtime), and then I say 'bedtime' and I pick him up and wind up the mobile before laying him onto the bed and bfing before he goes to sleep.
The next step I've been planning to take for ages is to get another bed myself that I can chop the legs off of so that my mattress will be exactly level with his mattress in the cot. The problem is actually getting around to doing that! What a palava!
One night, once he'd been asleep a while and had woken and cried for milk, when I put him down again I laid him in the cot and he did sleep in there for about half an hour, the problem was that he kept waving his arms around (he tosses a hand behind him ocassionally to check that Mummy is in bed with him) and bashing them on the wooden sides, then waking and crying.
Have you ever moved an older baby into a cot? Do you have any helpful suggestions about the best way to do this?

Should I put him in the cot and get him to fall asleep from the beginning of the night or put him in there after a BF when he's all drowsy and won't realise what's happened??
I really don't know where to go from here...
Thanks in advance! :night:

My avatar
cath
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Moving a co-sleeper to a cot at 13 months - help!

Postby cath » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:12 pm

We did it with an 8 month old but she wasnt walking or standing so it will probably be differenct than with a 13 month old but I can tell you what we did. We also moved her to her own room at the same time, we decided it was better to do it all in one go rather than move her from our bed to the cot only to then move her into her room a couple of months later.
We started off by establishing a good bedtime routine-so evening meal, bath, get into PJ's & then story. Then I sat next to the cot, gave her a BF & then put her in the cot while she was awake but drowsy. I stayed next to the cot until she had fallen asleep & did whatever I needed to help her fall asleep. the first night I ended up with my whole upper body inside the cot cuddling her as though we were in bed together. Over the next few nights I gradually withdrew a little bit each night, so we went from cuddling, to me rubbing her back & shushing her to me just having my hand on her back & then to me just sitting by the cot. Eventually, I was able to start moving my chair a little bit further towards the door & eventually out of the room altogether so I could just put her to bed & walk out & she would fall asleep on her own(although it took a few weeks to get to this point) We did have some crying but I felt ok about it because I was with her throughout, she wasnt left on her own while crying.
Hope this helps, If I can help you any more, feel free to ask-we have major sleep issues in this house and I've done a LOT of research on baby sleep!

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Moving a co-sleeper to a cot at 13 months - help!

Postby Rae » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:16 am

One thing that was suggested to me was to wear an old t-shirt around for a while so it gets a bit wiffy (bit of sweat and milk on it doesn't hurt) and then put that in the cot and warm it up with a hot water bottle before bed time, so the cot smells like mummy.
Other thing, is that if you don't have a comforter - toy, blamket etc then I would look into that as well.
Good luck with it.

Return to Baby and Toddler