hf1

Constipated 5 week old :(

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Constipated 5 week old :(

Postby weefywoo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:35 pm

My niece is constipated she has not been for a poop in 4 days :( they have tried moving her legs like she cycling and my brother is now very worried as there is still nothing

Any other advice? She is formula fed so I've told him to give some cooled boiled water but tbh I've not ever had a constipated baby so I'm out of my depth

My avatar
LilMrsAverage
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Constipated 5 week old :(

Postby LilMrsAverage » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:03 pm

formula or b/f both my children have gone for up to 7 days at points without poo'ing x

it did seem uncomfortable but both poo'd eventually x

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:10 pm

Yep Saffron often goes 3 or 4 days between poops, Archie went 10 days once! No advice I'm afraid, I think at that age they go when they want to go, hence the saying 'as reliable as a babys bum' ! :giggle:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Massage of the tummy can help - massaging clockwise around the babies tummy.
Here's a youtube video I really like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vseuKsNGmXs
You can also press on pressure points on the soles of their feet to help relieve constipation.

If the baby isn't distressed, then I wouldn't worry too much at the moment, as they can often go 7-10 days before pooing.
But definitely increase their water intake if possible in the formula feeds.

If they are distressed, ie. pulling knees up, tummy distended, not feeding, inconsolable
Then it might be worth a trip to OOH/ A&E for a suppository.
We did this with Eleanor when her tummy blew up so swollen & she stopped feeding - one suppository later, and HUGE explosion and she was starving!

If its happening alot with the formula they are using, then it might be worth trying a different brand
Hope that helps

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:55 pm

docmaggoo wrote:If its happening alot with the formula they are using, then it might be worth trying a different brand
Hope that helps

My friend found this with cow and gate , she said her dd was in a lot of pain and when she did poo it was like rabbit droppings. She changed to another brand and found a massive difference. :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
willowherb
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby willowherb » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:02 pm

ds was breastfed but sometimes went 3-4 days with out going and then there would be a mass explosion :giggle: I found the massages really helped :D

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:04 pm

K uesed to go once a week and he was bf, some lo's just don't go every day.
Cool boiled water with a tick or brown sugar will help x

Return to Baby and Toddler