Anyone else's toddler not eating!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Anyone else's toddler not eating!

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:12 pm

I'm going bonkers!

Riley has turned into a nibbler! She's hardly eating a thing, and as she is on the go 24/7 she's burning up anything that she eats and just not putting any weight on.

She's 2.5 and weighs 24lbs, so back to the 0.4th centile. And I know that somebody has to be down there, but she's gone from being a really healthy eater, big portions to virtually nothing.

A typical day would be

Breakfast - cereal and toast which she normally eats.
Snack between 9 and 10 - crackers, rice crackers, fruit - depends on where we are
Lunch - normally a few nibbles of whatever it is, unless we stop while we're out and she'll devour hot chips.
Snack - fruit or crackers, or whatever. Depending on how well lunch went (I'll give her more carbs if she had a terrible lunch)
Dinner - we've moved dinner later to 5.45 to 6 so we can all eat together. Most days she'll eat some carrots, and other veg, but maybe a mouthful or two of the main dish.

Some days if I leave her dinner out she'll nibble at it for an hour or so. i've started giving them toast or porridge before bed which she'll usually scoff.

I just don't know what to do.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Anyone else's toddler not eating!

Postby ladybird » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:14 pm

My lot eat fairly well generally, but I do find their appetites change regularly, some times they'll go a week or so eating me out of house and home, other times they eat little. I think of it as their growth spurts or not. We're on a not really eating phase at the moment, they're eating, but not as much as normal. I just let them get on with it.

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:18 pm

Sam is a bit of a picker but I find since he has been to nursery and gets a mid morning snack he won't eat lunch then will eat a snack mid afternoon then won't eat dinner. On days he doesn't go to nursery and doesn't get a snack he will eat 3 really good meals a day as he is hungry at lunch/dinner. Maybe try sticking to 3 meals and a snack before bed.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:27 pm

charliesam wrote:Sam is a bit of a picker but I find since he has been to nursery and gets a mid morning snack he won't eat lunch then will eat a snack mid afternoon then won't eat dinner. On days he doesn't go to nursery and doesn't get a snack he will eat 3 really good meals a day as he is hungry at lunch/dinner. Maybe try sticking to 3 meals and a snack before bed.

We used to do this, but since we moved dinner later I found they were really hungry abut 4.30, so I figured a snack at 2/3 would be better. But its not working. But she'll wake up from her nap and will start saying she's hungry straight away.

hmmmm got to work this out!

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:48 pm

This is Archie exactly. He is a nightmare, won't eat meat at all at the mo, has a.few nibbles of lunch or dinner (unless its junk) but always eats a good breakfast, even.if it takes an.hour sometimes! I spoke to hv about it yesterday and she just said that at this age they need a heck of a lot less than when they were between 1 and 2. I wonder how he survives sometimes...

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:51 pm

Rufus is going through a not really eating much stage at the moment, which is a first as he normally scoffs everything in sight!

He is very hungry in the mornings: At about 7-7.30am when we come downstairs he'll have a cup of milk, some banana porridge and sometimes a yoghurt or cereal bar too if he's still hungry.

He has a snack at about 10.30 usually just an innocent smoothie or a banana.

Then lunch will be around 12ish, dependant on what he's eaten earlier/how hungry he is this could be 1/2 a piece of toast or some of the organic baby snacks. Or a full lunch like a sandwich, toastie, boiled egg, fruit/dried fruit etc.

When he wakes up from his nap at 3pmish he'll have a drink & a biscuit. After that I try not to give him anything except water until dinner, but sometimes he is starving and constantly taking things out of the fridge and cupboard in which case I'll normally try to get away with just giving a small snack to get him through to dinner.

Dinner will be whatever we are having - pasta, risotto, stew, meat/3veg, etc ... sometimes he'll scoff the lots and then have a yogurt, mini-milk or some fruit, other times he'll just nibble and more recently he just holds his hand up when we are putting his plate down and says 'no' (quite firmly) or hands me the plate back and says 'gone now'. He always finds space for the dessert though (which I will always offer so long as he's had at least one bite of his dinner).

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:21 pm

Alesha is another that eats everything one minute and nothing the next, and even when it seems like she is eating everything 70% is fruit and veg, getting carbs and meat into her is soooo hit and miss, but i have come to the conclusion, i offer a very varied diet, 95% of which is good healthy, wholemeal foods etc, she looks healthy enough and is active and on the go like a normal toddler, so she must be getting the right nutrients she needs, and after all we arnt hungry sometimes so we cant expect them to be hungry at every meal :wink:
alesha is 3 in dec and only weighs 23.5lb so smaller yet older then riley, but im not worried, some children are dinky, some are tall etc etc, its just the way they are :)

My avatar
keljbj
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby keljbj » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:31 pm

That sounds like Indiana, but she has always been the same :-? She is 2 years 4 months and weighs 21lb. But thats an improvement :giggle: I always work on the roviso that a healthy child won't starve themself, so if she doesn't eat it i quietly take it away. I don't let her snack if she hasn't eaten her lunch or dinner, as i know if she does she just won't eat her next meal. I know it is natural for children to be grazers, but i want her to get into the habit of having set meals rather than just snacking throughout the day as, whilst i don't think she will ever struggle with weighing too much, i don't believe its a healthy mindset to get into. maybe i'm wrong, but its always worked before when the other kids have gone through fussy phases.

My avatar
willowherb
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby willowherb » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:09 pm

must be something in the air, ds has been really picky the last couple of day, refused dinner and lunch today but is eating breakfast fine. :roll: He has done this before and it always seems to be when he is cutting new teeth through.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler