hf1

What do u think?

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

What do u think?

Postby lazylexis » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:19 am

Dh takes N to tumble tots and he has just moved up to the 2-3 class at the start of term.He has missed a couple due to dh's elbow surgery.At the end of last term the lady who runs it said there was a bit more sitting still in the next class up and that within a few weeks the kids would be expected to sit still fir short amounts of time or for songs/story etc.N has never sat still for long at all and he struggles to stay still for more than 30 seconds! Dh says he has tried to get him to sit still but he ends up having to hold him and he gets tantrums and headbutting.The other kids, some of whom are a few months younger seem to manage it and it is the same at music group.Should we be trying to teach him to sit still? I am not really happy having to hold him to do it.Any suggestions?

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: What do u think?

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:24 am

I took Tyler out of tumble tots at the end of the first half term of the 2-3 class for that reason hun. He absolutely loved it in the walking to 2's class - he genuinely really enjoyed every single class but when he moved up to the 2-3 class they were split into little groups each week and had to stay on each station for a certain amount of time, line up and move onto the next station, sit down for 10 minutes to talk about their week at the start of each class and he absolutely hated it :( I stayed for the whole half term to see if he settled once he got used to it but he just spent the whole 45 minutes screaming his head off in the end and we decided that it cost too much money to keep taking him to something that he really wasn't enjoying :(

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:25 am

Tbh i would struggle to get Kieren to sit still and if i tried to enforce it in a situation like that then i know it would result in a huge full bore tantrum :-?

I think 2-3 is a huge age range though becuase im not sure i know ANY 2 year old boys (girls IME are a different story) that will sit still so your deffinatly not alone...however a 3yo boy might well be able to sit still for that long.

I know that since Kieren started pre-school his biggest struggle has been circle/story time becuase they have to tidy away the toys and then sit still...he doesnt ever want to do that and everytime they do it he just looses it. At pre-school i figure its part of learning the routine etc but its not something i would be happy to enforce at home...I still think that they are pretty young and their attention spans just arnt great yet!

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:37 am

We go to Maraca Jaks and they are expected to sit still for periods during that my DS has never managed to sit still. As long as he's not impacting on other children enjoying the class I usually let him get on with it ans go and collect him at the end of each song he enjoys himself and I know he is getting something from it cause he sings the songs at home and asks to go. All the other children sit still and I do wonder sometimes why the difference as some are younger still but there isn't much i could do different.
I would imagine the understand some children just won't rest for a minute, I'd try not to hold him down and see if he would settle himself just lead him back when he runs off. See how DH feels after a few more classes

My avatar
clothpixie
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clothpixie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:44 am

We took Michael to a couple of Tumble Tots classes because Samantha had went for a year and loved it. Totally different story for Michael, he too kicked and screamed when we tried to encourage him in the 2-3 class. We have decided that it's simply not for him. He doesn't do groups well. I'm planning to take him swimming instead.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:19 am

I used to take the boys to a similar thing at our local leisure centre and they both loved it. It was set up for under 5's. The last 15 minutes of the hour session was singing and dancing and the children were expected to sit or stand in a large circle to take part in this.

Jonah used to be fine, he would sit and join in with the movements / dancing but Isaac was not impressed. He would not join in or sit & watch and I hated trying to get him to do so. In the end I used to just let him lay in the equipment nearby, despite the group leader not being impressed.

Basically, Isaac just could not sit when asked to do so at this age. He is now at pre-school and that little bit older and will sit when asked to do so for circle time and other activities so maybe it's an age thing. I certainly would not stress myself or my child un-neccessarily to conform to the group.

My avatar
pebbles08
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby pebbles08 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:53 pm

DS is the same; he very rarely will sit still to take part in songs or storytime. The last 15mins of our playgroup is songs; and DS does not want to join in; he would rather continue playing in the other room, or wants to leave rather than sit still!

My avatar
Nimyue
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Nimyue » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:34 pm

Agreed, there is no way my son would have sat still AT ALL until he was about 33 mos. Honestly, just take him to an indoor play place when it's rainy and outdoors when it's not. I don't think 2-3 boys are meant to sit still :giggle: that's what makes them so fun... even if they are exhausting.

Return to Baby and Toddler