Prefolds

My avatar
moonfruit
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Prefolds

Postby moonfruit » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:23 pm

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has used prefolds from birth, and with what amount of success? Are they any good at containment?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Prefolds

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:17 pm

Isabelle was premature so we couldn't use them right away as they were too big for her (at 4lbs7oz so were most things!) but once she'd gained a few pounds we started using them.
I would say they're not an ideal nappy and although they seem like a cheaper option than fitteds they weren't the most reliable and leaked from time to time - absorbency was ok for the first few months but then we found she needed the next size up before she fitted into them - and we could never use them at night...

Not the most enthusiastic endorsement I know!! We used them for about 6 months in the end in combination with disposables before finally discovering 'proper' cloth nappies and switching to fitteds and pockets and I wont be using them with no.2 except for emergencies...

Don't get me wrong - they did ok but I wouldn't recomend them...

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:08 pm

I haven't used prefolds but hear of lots of people trying them and being disappointed and giving up cloth. Worst that can happen though is that you find you don't like them and you use them for boosting other nappies instead.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:13 pm

Heh aslong as you've not bought a BTP pack like we did Annette!! :oops:
They're good for mopping up potty training spills too... And using as nappy mat covers...

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:15 pm

That is true Steph but then you should never buy a btp pack of anything, which I know you know that now! :hohoho:

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:40 pm

I think we were an exception as I used them exclusively until Evie was about 7 months old and got on really well with them, both during the day and overnight. In saying that once she reached 7 months the next size up were huge on her so I started looking at other nappies (and havent stopped :oops: )

I think as well it depends on the wrap you use - the Bambino Mio wraps I got were pretty bad, I bought some Nature Babies and Tots Bots and they were fab. I suppose it also depends on whether your child is a moderate or heavy wetter - Evie was quite heavy so I added a booster to ours, as I say, no problems.

I wouldnt go buying a full set - you can pick up prefolds really really cheaply 2nd hand.

Sadie xx

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:12 pm

I bought a BTP set of Bambino Mios when I was pg with Amy and used them for about 4 months before giving up and resorting to disps. I've still got some of them in a bag somewhere. I do use some of them as stuffing for pocket inserts. I would say get a few to use as a back up even if they only get used as pocket inserts.

Return to Baby and Toddler