hf1

Bed time is horrific! :(

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Bed time is horrific! :(

Postby CherryPie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:50 pm

The last few nights bedtime has been absolutely horrific. Reuben has been getting himself in such a state he's hysterical. He sometimes has a little moan at bedtime but will soon settle if I go in and give him a quick cuddle and 'shhhh' him. I've tried rocking him in my arms, singing to him, getting into bed with him, even leaving him to cry for 5 mins in desperation. I don't know what to do, tonight he screamed for 1.5 hours until he was totally shattered and I bought him into my bed with me. Has anyone else experienced this? Am thinking of taking him to the drs....

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Bed time is horrific! :(

Postby KimmyM » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:08 pm

My son has done this on many many occasions we ended up co-sleeping most nights till he was 18mths. He learnt quickly how to get me. He had severe reflux and would cry till he was sick or hit his head on the wall. He total stripped the wallpaper of his walls in the nursery around the cot one night. But he could scream to the point I thought there must be something wrong.
I can't advise as I have no idea if we did the right or wrong things.
If you are worried I use to look for
Is he okay the rest if the day?
Is it when he goes to bed?
Or when you leave the room?
Does he calm down quickly when o pick him up and take him to my bed ect
I.e does he just want to snuggle in bed, is it being alone ect ect
My Doc told me to let him cry it out but I couldn't or at least not for a long long time.

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby CherryPie » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:16 pm

He's fine all day and although he can play up at nap time it's nothing compared to this :cry: it starts when we get him ready for bed and before I've even left the room. Basically once he's cottoned on that it 's bed time. When I get into bed with him he won't snuggle up with me but will just kick, scream or run to the door. It's only when I give in and bring him into my bed that he calms down. I'm just scared of co-sleeping again with my baby due any day now. He has been in his own room since he was 11 months so I don't really want to bring him back into my bed. Dh works nights and I'm just finding this awful. I hate seeing him so distressed.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:42 pm

Yup just been there! Lockie started to go nuts at bed time, (Riley did too for a while but its more usual for her to act up a bit). We've never had to do anything for Lockie apart from saying goodnight and leaving the room. But he started to get hysterical and it was taking me hours to get him to go down.

I tried lots of things, light on, no light, shoing all the monsters away, music on. and nothing helped. I tried doing the slow creep out of their room, and sitting just outside their room. nothing worked. So i did cry it out and in 1 night problem solved.

My go-to lady (she'd a HV who helps families in extreme need - think of the supernanny but on the NHS and not so supernanny-ish) said that they are all agoing through this phase of seeing how much they can get away with at bed time, its just a phase thing. i went back to our original routine, stuck to it and it worked.

I know that many people don't like leaving them to cry, but it works for us. But I did want to let you know that I've been told its an age phase thing (mine are 2.5)

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:01 pm

I did cry it out just before my daughter was born about 6 months ago as I pretty much had to admitt I couldn't carry on with how things were when she arrived.
It took us about 3 night and it dud take hours I did the 2mins, 4mins, 8mins, 16mins I never when past 16mins prehaps I should have but I just couldn't. He now goes to bed fine he can occasionally play up but in the whole he is fine.

Return to Baby and Toddler