hf1

I don't know my LO's blood group

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: I don't know my LO's blood group

Postby lazylexis » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:37 pm

They usually do a heel prick here at 5 -7days old.Currently it tests for hereditary problems such as cystic fibrosis, sickle cell disease and 2 rare metabolic problems MCADD and PKU as well as underactive thyroid.Most babies get it done by the midwife at home and the blood is put on a piece of card and sent off.U can refuse it but most people don't.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:41 pm

YES! you are correct, i totally forgot about that.

She did have the little blood card thingy. Ahha, well in that case - do they check it then?? In which case i guess it would be on her GP notes!

Saying that, i cant even remember my own so fat lot of good it is me knowing hers :doh:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:47 pm

I don't know Ocean's and he has blood tests regularly. I've never thought to ask.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Rox wrote:YES! you are correct, i totally forgot about that.

She did have the little blood card thingy. Ahha, well in that case - do they check it then?? In which case i guess it would be on her GP notes!

Saying that, i cant even remember my own so fat lot of good it is me knowing hers :doh:

No they don't check anyone's blood group routinely unless there is a medical reason to - in a newborn it's often to check blood group compatability with mum if they are jaundiced, or if u go and give blood or need a transfusion or before surgery.I went abroad with a charity at 17 and they insisted we knew our blood group.Mine was on my records as I had blood transfusions as a prem baby but I know others had to pay privately to find out!
Last edited by lazylexis on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
50ftQueenie
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby 50ftQueenie » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:49 pm

I am very curious about the blood types of my two. I am A+ and DH is O-

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:50 pm

ladybird wrote:I don't know Ocean's and he has blood tests regularly. I've never thought to ask.

It may or may not have been done.
Just because tests are being done does not automatically mean that a blood group is tested for. The doctors will only request a test that they need the results of which will affect their treatment/management.
It's not a 'routine test'

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:54 pm

docmaggoo wrote:
ladybird wrote:I don't know Ocean's and he has blood tests regularly. I've never thought to ask.

It may or may not have been done.
Just because tests are being done does not automatically mean that a blood group is tested for. The doctors will only request a test that they need the results of which will affect their treatment/management.
It's not a 'routine test'

He's had surgery, a bronchoscopy and long line insertion under GA and he has CF so will be having constant treatment for life. Would they test it before surgery?

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:05 pm

I don't know my own blood type, let alone my kids.

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby mummy_goose1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:07 pm

I'n rhesus neg, so hayley was tested. All i remember is that she isn't the same as me! So i had to have the anti d! I've always known mine, but again ,thats coz im rhesus neg!

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler