hf1

Self settling at night.

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Self settling at night.

Postby CherryPie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:54 pm

Just wondering if any one has any tips on teaching LO's how to self settle without leaving them to cry? At the moment either me or dh have to lay with reuben in his bed until he falls asleep. I'm ok with doing
this for now but have had other people tell me he should have learnt how to self settle by now? :-? Tia xx

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Self settling at night.

Postby Woozle35 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:06 pm

:giggle: I have no idea, Oscar is just over 2 and a half and I feed him to sleep. Or if like tonight I fall asleep and Oscar asks me to wake up!

Will be interested to hear replies.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:14 pm

Children often don't learn to self soothe until nearer 2 1/2 to 3 years. Nathan is 2 1/2 and just starting to now.There are othervways of helping it happen more quickly.The no cry sleep solution is a good book with helpful suggestions

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby CherryPie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:29 pm

That's reassuring to hear that it's normal :) I really shouldn't listen to the other mums at playgroup!

My avatar
busybee
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby busybee » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:36 pm

My 3.5 yr old still needs one of us to lie beside her so she can fall asleep. I think it's quite common. In the past we've had success with gradually moving out of the room,ie. you start off sitting on a chair beside the bed then a few nights later move the chair nearer the door, till eventually you're sitting outside the room. This did work for us, but then we moved house, moved to a new city and had a baby all at the same time and DD needed the security of having me cuddle her to sleep again. We'll try the chair routine again quite soon though.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:58 pm

Most nights i like to sit with Izzy til she falls asleep I don't see why not I would rather having her fall to sleep peacefully and know her mummy is there if she needs. Some nights she will take herself off to bed and read to herself though :shock: Like last night I think thats only been recently though now she is getting older.

Def ignore what others say its your choice :D

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:59 pm

DD started to self-settle when she was about 14 months - she started sucking her thumb after I stopped :bf: and generally falls asleep on her own. Having said that, she does go through phases of wanting me to sit with her, hold her hand, rub her feet etc, then other nights she just says "bye bye Mummy" and cuddles up with her baby doll and will fall asleep easily.

I go with her lead - sometimes I like to cuddle DH before I fall asleep, othertimes I want to be on my own, so I don't see why it should be any different for a toddler!

My avatar
CherryPie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby CherryPie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:28 pm

Those were my thoughts exactly, I've really missed dh being there at bedtime since he's been working nights so I guess toddlers must be just the same. Bit of company/cuddle is comforting w
hilst drifting off. Some nights he doesn't want me to actually cuddle him but just
lay with him. I actually enjoy it really! Will tell disapproving ppl to mind their own! :giggle: :thumbsup:

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:41 pm

If you're happy to do it, then it isn't a problem. Ignore what the other Mums say and go with what works for you and your LO.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler