hf1

Toddler stress

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Toddler stress

Postby smilinglou » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:02 pm

Today my lo has been a nightmare, she's defininitely been more difficult than normal, is it because her Dad went back to work today? He's been home and looking after her pretty much the whole time, I always seem to get distracted and end up sorting everything else and don't spend much play time with her when he's home.

I feel pretty overwhelmed today which seems silly as only have one child, I honestly have no idea why or how people have more than one child, we were going to have another one but I thought better of it and cannot see why anyone would want to :(

Anyway she's been ignoring everything I say, doing the complete opposite, she's sat on her step three times today which is not like her to have to be told to sit there, she's very bright and I can be very stuck in her ways about things, she does have quite a lot of routines and almost 'OCD's' and she's being checked out for Aspergers as it's in the direct family.

Also she refuses to nap and gets up early in the morning and gets herself dressed then opens her door and takes herself off downstairs (found her the other day downstairs by herself and she'd climbed over the stair gate, within minutes she'd had her hand in the marine fish tank and climbed the table and eaten the chocolate that was in the basket.

I think I'm just venting, it's the first day back to normal and it's been busy but she has been a terror, I know it's not her fault but grrrrr, she has loads of new toys that she's been playing with the last week fine and now suddenly today she isn't interested at all and is going back to being more destructive, she also has had quite a few more accidents than normal when she's had her no nappy time with the potty.

Any ideas or advise apart from stop moaning and whining :roll:

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Toddler stress

Postby bekhi1983 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:09 pm

:hug: Must be something in the air, we've had a similar day. Can't wait for bedtime! Although if he carries on the same as the rest of the day it could turn out to be long, drawn out and stressful. Fingers crossed for a better day tomorrow.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Depends on the day of the week here tge phase if tge moon and what next door had for dinner last night. Otherwise known as no rhyme or reason he can be a total angel but also so difficult.
I do think it's me as I made him this why right but at re same time I guess he is 2 and so to be expected. Also he had to make alot of changes when DD arrived so I guess he could still be reacting slightly.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:05 pm

I think your idea of play mate daddy being gone is spot on. My dd missed him like mad today and was so angry with him when he got home. It's totally understandable but really tough on you. Have you talked to her about missing daddy and feeling sad and cross? I can't see how old she is but I guess she would have some emotional language? Xx

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Agree with the daddy thing but also we had a lot of trouble with Martha at bedtime last night which is really unusual (and we don't let her stay up late in the holidays), I think they just struggle to understand the change in routine.

It's a challenging age and I can remember the frustration. It does get better as they get older and can listen to reason! I did find "How to talk to Kids etc etc" very useful at this age even tho it's really aimed at older kids, it can help you plug into how they're feeling.

My avatar
simlou
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby simlou » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:47 pm

Vent away!

My little monster is actually being a total angel at the moment but I've been there so offering big :hug:

Could also be that she is overtired following all the excitement of Christmas and having lots of family time and lovely new things to play with.

Could you go out somewhere tomorrow and have a fun day just the two of you? I sometimes find that Ewan is much easier to handle if we are out doing stuff and his mind is active rather than just playing or doing crafty things in the house - think he gets cabin fever just as much as I do sometimes

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:29 pm

I'd say it's the change of routine that has her out of sorts :hug: hope things settle

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:29 pm

she turned 2 on 22nd dec so she's still a babe really but she does have quite good language and some understanding of what im on about, she does push boundaries but i get down to her level and talk to her a lot and tell her why she cant do certain things and guide her to do something more constructive, but sometimes im just like grrr lol but shes pretty good really for her age.

Return to Baby and Toddler