hf1

Car seat

My avatar
babygrowbelly
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Car seat

Postby babygrowbelly » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:06 pm

I have been looking at car seats for my dad's car and although Caleb is 3 next May he is the height if not taller than most 4 year olds, the car seats say from 4 upwards and from a certain weight but which is more important in regards of safety? It has also got me thinking about the one we have for him as it is a stage 1 seat so up to 4 year old so I am having the same dilemma about height if that is an issue??

My avatar
rachyrach
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Car seat

Postby rachyrach » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:19 pm

Not really answering your question, but we went to Halfords on Monday to get Hannah (a short 15kg 4 year old) a new car seat as they have some great deals in their sale and the staff there were incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. I'm sure if you could pop in, they would be more than able to answer your question and then your son can try them out too which is what Hannah did. We got a graco one which is now discontinued but is at a reduced price but not in the sale. it was £49.99 but retailed originally at £120. We were advised to get one with arm rests as the seat belt goes under them making the belt sit in a better position than one without so is safer.

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:37 pm

Weight and height are both important. If a child is too light or heavy for the seat, it will not perform as it should in a crash. If too tall, then their head may be vulnerable. For whichever seat you choose, always ensure they fit properly.

I've heard mixed reports of halfords and mothercare tbh, some dangerous and incorrect info given, so that'd put me off.

There are a number of good websites, forums and fb groups for reliable and detailed advice. It's not something I'd be bargain hunting for tbh - over the years of use, our relatively expensive £150 seat works out to pennies a day.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:50 pm

If you're talking about a high back booster then the weight is important to ensure that the seatbelt works as intended in a crash. I think they also need to be tall enough that the belt sits in the right position. The booster seat just puts them in the right position for the belt to work rather than the seat itself being the safety as is the case with the younger child seats. My friend has had her heavy DD in a booster since just before she was 3 :shock:

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:55 pm

:wave: I've got a cople of Jane seats (can't remember the name of them) that have an impact shield/cushion in front of the child, they go upto 11 I think so would be ok I would have thought! I'll go find it! :lol:

These- http://www.mothercare.com/s?Action=subm ... lo&x=0&y=0

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:56 pm

Sorry not answering your question but I had a new seat fitted for DS last week at Halfords and I asked them to refit our 0+1 seat to rear facing for DD.
As first they said it didn't fit rear facing so she would have to start facing out at 7 months which in their opinion was "safe enough" I quote. Then when I prompted that the seat was originally fitted by them in that car rare facing. They realised it just needed to be tilted back.
I went about as normal till about 3 days later I put DD in her seat and it practically tiped over I spent about 20 mins in the pouring rain trying to fix it and thought I had but went back to have them re check and also complain.
It turns out neither were fitted correctly. In an accident I hate to think what could have happened.
They have apologied so I guess everything is okay then As they pointed out nothing happened :x
I guess I'm saying stay well away from Halfords at all coats.

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:00 pm

KimmyM wrote:Sorry not answering your question but I had a new seat fitted for DS last week at Halfords and I asked them to refit our 0+1 seat to rear facing for DD.
As first they said it didn't fit rear facing so she would have to start facing out at 7 months which in their opinion was "safe enough" I quote. Then when I prompted that the seat was originally fitted by them in that car rare facing. They realised it just needed to be tilted back.
I went about as normal till about 3 days later I put DD in her seat and it practically tiped over I spent about 20 mins in the pouring rain trying to fix it and thought I had but went back to have them re check and also complain.
It turns out neither were fitted correctly. In an accident I hate to think what could have happened.
They have apologied so I guess everything is okay then As they pointed out nothing happened :x
I guess I'm saying stay well away from Halfords at all coats.

:wave: Yes def do that I went there & they fitted a car seat 'correctly', but it had serious buckle crunch & didn't fit my car at all! :evil:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:24 pm

As well as the weight & height needing to be within the range, I thought you had to have all children aged under 4 in a seat with the 5 point harness, not just a seatbelt :-?

Isaac's seat goes up to age 11 ( :hohoho: ) but has a 5ph that can be removed when he's older - that's what we did with Jonah. My boys are very tall and fit the seats now.......think Isaac's one is a M&P one but you're better off trying out a few.

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:32 pm

Shaunie wrote:As well as the weight & height needing to be within the range, I thought you had to have all children aged under 4 in a seat with the 5 point harness, not just a seatbelt :-?

This is the only alternative to a 5ph on the market & is said to be safer because it reduces the risk of whip lash & distrabutes the strain on the spine evenly reducing injury. I also use them because as a childminder I can put a 2yr old in one minute & a 8yr old in next without having to change the entire seat!
http://www.mothercare.com/s?Action=subm ... lo&x=0&y=0

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler