hf1

Car seat

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Car seat

Postby cat27m » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:02 am

I'm a bit paranoid about carseat safety so I apologise in advance for all the links!! :oops:

This site details the current regulations regarding use of car seats. http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm

The 5ph tends to have a weight restriction of 18kg rather than an age restriction as obviously many children will reach this weight well before their 4th birthdays. The seat manuals usually detail when a child is too tall for the seat but generally a child is too tall for a 5ph carseat if their shoulders are taller than the highest slots, or if the top of their ears are above the top of the carseat shell.

The hbb can be used once they reach 15kg as they need the weight to allow the normal seatbelt to function properly. They do however need to be able to understand that they should never remove/play with the seatbelt.

Ideally children up to 4 should be rearfacing where possible. http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/index.php

This Britax 5ph seat can be used up to 25kg, both rear and forward facing. http://www.incarsafetycentre.co.uk/cata ... 3afl0gkct0. This site has lots of options for extended rear facing.

I have Rowan in a Besafe Izi Combi Isofix and I'm hoping she'll last in that until she's 4. She's still quite light but may well become too tall for it - will just have to wait and see.

My avatar
tinkerbell
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby tinkerbell » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:17 am

My DS is tall for his age too. We have the Britax two way elite and it has been great. I didn't want him to be forward facing when he became too tall for his infant carrier car seat so we moved him into this at around 12 months. He rear faced until the summer (he was 3 in May) and is now forward facing and can use the seat in a 5 point harness until he is 25kg! x

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby sophie2198 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:22 am

@Shaunie - they will most likely have reached the height limit for hbb by then and therefore won't be required to use one....Jas hasn't been in her booster for about a year now she is just in the car normally , she will be 10 in two weeks and is 4ft 10 ins / 7st 7lb.

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:29 am

sophie2198 wrote:@Shaunie - they will most likely have reached the height limit for hbb by then and therefore won't be required to use one....Jas hasn't been in her booster for about a year now she is just in the car normally , she will be 10 in two weeks and is 4ft 10 ins / 7st 7lb.

Toby is just short of the 135cm height for his hbb and is desperate to sit in the normal car seat. He only turned 7 in November but is v. tall for his age.

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby sophie2198 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:40 am

Yes I imagine Jas had prob reached that height by 7 too although we kept her in her seat until after her 8th birthday iirc.

I don't expect H to reach the height limit that early , if at all bless him! He currently grows about 4cms a year so if he carries on at that rate he'll be 13 before he reaches 135 cms!

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:14 am

chocmuffin wrote:
teganplus2 wrote:@chocmuffin your links aren't working xx

:wave: Thankyou! :thumbsup: They do for me, but thats no good is it :roll:

Its a jane montecarlo seat & the impact cushion is called the Xtend!

I'll try another! http://www.janecarseat.co.uk/jane-montecarlo-plus/

I am pretty sure the impact cushion has to come off at 18kg like all the other non harnessed group 123 seats so for a 3.5 year old it almost seems pointless unless they are very light.
My Dd is 19kg at 5yr 3 months so didn't hit 18 until around 4.5.
For a hbb weight and height are important. If your child is under 15kg the seat belt will not work properly to restrain them in an accident and if they are too short the belt won't sit properly and could injure them.
I am like cath and think rear facing until at least 4 is best.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:30 am

sophie2198 wrote:@Shaunie - they will most likely have reached the height limit for hbb by then and therefore won't be required to use one....Jas hasn't been in her booster for about a year now she is just in the car normally , she will be 10 in two weeks and is 4ft 10 ins / 7st 7lb.

@sophie2198 I don't think logically about height/weight for the years to come do I, lol! Jonah is about 4ft 1" now and he's only just turned 5. He weighs 3st 7lb but have no idea what that is in kilos so he will be tall enough for sure at an early age.

Isaac is 3yrs 4mth and is about 3ft 9" & weighs 3st so he'll prob be similar to Jonah in terms of height and be too tall for a hbb earlier. There's no much to blooming think about, tis confusing at times :oops:

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:32 am

JenKyleKaitlinRoo wrote:
chocmuffin wrote:
teganplus2 wrote:@chocmuffin your links aren't working xx

:wave: Thankyou! :thumbsup: They do for me, but thats no good is it :roll:

Its a jane montecarlo seat & the impact cushion is called the Xtend!

I'll try another! http://www.janecarseat.co.uk/jane-montecarlo-plus/

I am pretty sure the impact cushion has to come off at 18kg like all the other non harnessed group 123 seats so for a 3.5 year old it almost seems pointless unless they are very light.
My Dd is 19kg at 5yr 3 months so didn't hit 18 until around 4.5.
For a hbb weight and height are important. If your child is under 15kg the seat belt will not work properly to restrain them in an accident and if they are too short the belt won't sit properly and could injure them.
I am like cath and think rear facing until at least 4 is best.

:wave: Yes but the Op's child is not 3 till May & is v tall so would prob be a good idea for them! Plus they do better in crash tests than ones with a 5ph & can recline unlike most 123 stage seats!

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:47 pm

Oh dear Martha is still in a 5ph as I thought it was safer, now I'm not so sure! She's tall for her age but light and I didn't have any confidence she was heavy enough for a HBB until recently.......will be off to Mothercare or Halfords to get a HBB asap

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler