hf1

What age did your lo stop going in the buggy?

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: What age did your lo stop going in the buggy?

Postby northernruth » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:35 pm

mudita wrote:I am the odd one out...my DS1 only reliably walked around with me from 4yo. He still hops in if he is tired, but this is only if we have been doing loads of walking. He is past the weight limit but doesn't seem to bother the buggy much. :D

Martha only walked on the school run because her childminder needed the buggy for younger kids, but then I guess needs must - to me a double buggy is a difficult thing to manoevre so I wouldn't want one unless absolutely necessary. I hate Phil and Teds :oops:

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:48 pm

Kyle reliably walked everywhere from before Kaitlin was born so about 2yr 3 months. Kaitlin was walking everywhere from about 2.

Ruairidh though is 2yr 7months and he still goes in the buggy for the school run as he stops to look at things when we really need to keep moving. He gets out to walk home though and manages fine. I plan to ditch the buggy gradually over the next few months.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:00 pm

I started restricting Benjamin's use of the buggy, when he was 2 as there were often younger kids in the double buggy. He didn't fully stop hopping in until we said no more on his 4th birthday, I wanted him fully out by 3 but sometimes he just got so tired he couldn't walk or walked too slowly. For me it would have been a must!

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Kerr will be 3 at the end of this month and hasn't been in the buggy at all for a year now. Anywhere we're going he just has to walk. I suppose it helps that he has Ross to follow though :)

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:25 pm

I agree that it depends on how much you walk (and what the terrain is like!) We live halfway up a hill and do a lot of walking as I don't drive. Natalie was fine with this from just after 2yrs old, though I did use the P&T for Ryan so she could ride if she wanted still too. We had a buggy board for a bit before that, but if she wasn't in the mood then that wasn't a big help so I'd just use the double but with one child in if she wanted to walk. From about 2 1/2 we used the Maclaren almost all the time and she just walked.

Ryan's different, as he can't walk more than 5-10 min without getting too tired and falling a lot and that's not likely to improve anytime soon. We're in a similar situation in that he is over 15kg, very tall, and is now squashed looking even in the P&T seat (doubles seat is out of the question). The buggy board is working well for him as long as he doesn't walk too much to be too tired to stand.... but I'm going to be using the bus more once we move so need a smaller buggy than the P&T. Am considering options for a decent single that can have a buggy board on it but still fit Ryan for when Mark takes the older 2 out to the park/shopping/etc. and Ryan needs to go in the buggy.

I don't know what we'll do when Lucas starts walking, am praying Ryan can master a scooter by then...

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:13 pm

I stopped using a buggy about a yr ago (she's 3.5), but have used it a couple of times when I didn't have the car and it was pouring rain and we had shopping to get!

Twice a week she gets walked home from childcare in a buggy still. Simply because it's after a long day, she's knackered and it's too far for that time of day.

Given how kids like to go slow and wander, I'd be tempted to get a cheap preloved double. It might not be the most used thing you buy, but I suspect there will be days it could be a lifesaver!

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:16 pm

Tyler was 3 last week and I still take the buggy if we are going to be out for the day but that is more to put the bags/lunch in than him, I also take it if I go into town with him because he tends to run off in shops and I just end up stressed whereas he will happily sit in the buggy with a pack of rice cakes or something while I shop! I would say that it is used probably a couple of times a month though tbh and we definitely aren't having a double - I will just make sure that I have the sling with me all the time so that he can jump in the buggy if he wants to (although he is too tall for the Icandy which is what we will be using for the baby.

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:21 pm

Harriet pretty much stopped using a buggy when Dex was born so 2 years and 8 months, having said that though there were times in Florida recently where she sat in the buggy and she is 5.

Dex is still using the buggy but only really on the school run or anytime we're in a bit of a rush. I think we will have ditched it altogether by the time he's 3.

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:42 pm

Nathan didn't use it as much from 2.6 but we stopped at 3.4 completely. We took it on holiday and it never came out of the car. Made me realise he didn't really need it anymore. I walk everywhere though ass don't drive so I think I was really putting it off :oops:

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler