hf1

Another car seat question

My avatar
sjm
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Another car seat question

Postby sjm » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:14 pm

Is there any limit to how long they last A is in Lucas's seat which has been used for 2 years just wondering if there is any limit. I know they need changing after an accident any other time x

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Another car seat question

Postby Shaunie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:19 pm

I don't think they come with a 'use by date'. There was a discussion about this a long time ago and I *think* the general consensus was that they are fine for a number of years IIRC.

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:37 pm

Think britax or maybe maxi cosy (sorry cant remember) recommend they be replaced after 5yrs, but I think all makes are different! :-?

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:24 pm

Car seats do have a use by date.

Not 100% sure, but I think it's an offence to drive with an out of date seat.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:39 pm

I should think there will be one as technology changes etc and whats to stop someone using one from 20odd years ago.. but i shouldnt think it will be too short, long enough to use on more than one child.

You've got me thinking now as i was planning to put baby number 2 in Scarletts RF seat when old enough (cost me more than mortgage payment! lol)... Its been in use for 3years almost, will be in storage for another 2years and then will be used for 3more years = 8 in total since made.

*eek* Will need to check that out!!

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:54 pm

Had a google and apparently car seats have an expiration date on them somewhere, often on the side or the bottom.

They vary depending on the technology in them and manufacturer.. It says if there is no date a recommendation of 6years from new purchase is suggested however they say you should contact the manufacturer to confirm as some do allow upto 10years.

Interesting!! I know i'll be checking ours next time its out.

However.. i also dont see how this can be completely true as the 3rd stage car seat we bought to use in DHs car is suitable for 9months-12years ... No where is it suggested that the seat may not be used for the entirety of the age it covers.

I am not sure about it being illegal either, never heard of anyone having their car seat expiration checked, or even heard of it prior to this thread. Again something to read up on.

I think some common sense may be needed here but then i very much doubt any of us would put our child into an 'old' seat (like 20yrs old im thinking)

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:00 pm

The Uk ones often don't have an expiry date.
There is a table of recommended usage times after manufacture here tho but it's an new zealand site
http://www.childrestraints.co.nz/expiry-table.php
i am note sure where the date of manufacture is on our seat tho!

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:42 pm

Check out the cars in supermarket parent spaces. I frequently see grandparent cars parked there (without child, grrrr) with obviously vintage car seats. A lot of people genuinely do think that the rarely used seat bought for big cousin 8 or 9 years ago will be ok for new bubs.

Good point about the seats that last through childhood. Can only assume the materials in them are different.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:17 pm

The carseat is suitable for any child from the age of 9 months to 12 years but the carseat will not be suitable for use for that lenght of time. It's horrendous that they don't advertise that you need to replace carseats after a certain number of years. As far as I know, the usual lenght of a car seats life is 6 years.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler