hf1

She doesn't move! What would you do?

My avatar
flossyfly
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

She doesn't move! What would you do?

Postby flossyfly » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:45 pm

My DD is nearly ten months and she doesn't move. She sits beautifully and will stand when supported(has stood from a very young age) but she makes no effort to move about. No shuffling, no commando crawling(not even backwards) I put her on her tummy and she almost immediately rolls over. If she is on her back she stays there quite happily, no attempt to change position. If she is sitting and falls back she does try to get up again. She is very strong but just seems to be totally unmotivated to move about! Lots of people say 'oooohhhh make the most of it' but to be honest I would love her to start some sort of movement! I just know that the HV is gonna panic about this and try to get me to have her seen by the GP.

So I ask, what would you do? would you be worried or would you just let her be?

She has just recently started to pul herself up if I hold her hands and she has always had her feet flat on the ground(no tiptoes)

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: She doesn't move! What would you do?

Postby Bluebell » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:51 pm

I don't think I would worry too much. You could maybe sit her down and put a few of her favourite toys just out of reach to see if she will try to get them. I have heard some babies don't crawl until 'late' but then start walking early. I'm not even sure when they are expected to be mobile, they all develop differently, she'll do it when she's ready (is what I kept telling myself... Emma started walking at 17 months!).

My avatar
flossyfly
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby flossyfly » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:54 pm

Bluebell wrote:I don't think I would worry too much. You could maybe sit her down and put a few of her favourite toys just out of reach to see if she will try to get them. I have heard some babies don't crawl until 'late' but then start walking early. I'm not even sure when they are expected to be mobile, they all develop differently, she'll do it when she's ready (is what I kept telling myself... Emma started walking at 17 months!).

Thanks for replying

She will reach for things but if she can't get them then she doesn't bother lol.....shes such a character :hohoho:

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby bekhi1983 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:56 pm

My friends son was like this at 10 months although he wouldn't even roll over, then the 2 weeks leading up to his first birthday he did the lot and was waddling around on his birthday. The health visitor who came out to her at 10 months wasn't overly concerned just made an appt for 2 months time. She might surprise you just give her a bit more time and enjoy your baby.

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:08 pm

If I remember correctly, crawling or shuffling isn't actually a developmental stage because not all babies do it. Walking is, but the 'time limit' they like to see that happening by is much greater - perhaps 18 months or so? Sitting up is a measured milestone too, and I think they like to see that by about 9 months, so she's doing fine on that score. At 10 months she's not to little to be shuffling or crawling, but is young in terms of walking I believe. I did see a little one in toddlers walking at 10 months this week, but they are definitely the exception, not the norm.

I do know of one person whose little one didn't even sit up or hold a bottle at 18 months, and there was a lot of (understandable) concern, but quite literally one day the little one decided he would do it all and went from immobility to running within weeks.

They're all different, so try not to worry too much. :hug:

Sarah

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:13 pm

My cousins LO was like this he starting to crawl at 14 months he us still alittle behind Noo but Noo does seem a little advanced in some areas.
I'd put something she's not allowed just out of get reach and leave her to it (supervised of course) both if mine would wiggle over a bed of nails in a flash to get the iPad and DD is only 7 mths I think Noo has trained her.
Noo wouldn't sit till he was 10mths I knew ge could do it he just didnt want to. We use to joke that he would sir when we weren't looking and laugh that we thought he couldn't :giggle:

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:50 pm

As others have said, I wouldn t worry at the moment they re just a guide. My dd1 Didn t roll till about 9months but then chose not to half the time, Didn t crawl till her first birthday, never bum shuffled. She did walk at 10 months but that was out of sheer determination to stand up from birth lol! Walking at this age runs in my family with me, my sisters and nieces doing it so I put it down to that.
Sounds like your little one might go the walking route too. Either way they all figure out their own way to get around. All i d say is, if your little one misses the crawling phase I was encouraged to help my dd practise her crawling skills at a later date as it is the same co ordination needed for climbing.
Xxxxx

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Some babies love being on their bellies and some don't. It sounds like she will walk first or cruise and skip out the crawling. :D

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:23 pm

I wouldn't worry either.
Erin was similar, at 10 months would sit unaided, but that was about it. She hated being on her tummy but didn't know how to roll over. She had really bandy legs :giggle: and wouldn't stand, even when supported.
She has never crawled & didn't learn to bum shuffle until she was well over a year old. She finally started walking while we were on hols last October, at the grand age of 21 months.
Now, at 24 months, you'd never know that she took so long to get moving.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler