Shattered - more sleep please!

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Site Supporter

Shattered - more sleep please!

Postby JabberJabber » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:37 am

Aaargh! How can we get our LO to sleep longer in the morning?

He's coming up to 3 in March and for the last few weeks has been waking up around 5.30am and most times unable to get back to sleep.
We have a bedtime routine, where after tea at about 5.30pm, we play games and watch TV and will go up for a bath by 6.30pm. By this point he is getting tired, even if he won't admit it. He has a bath and then into PJ's with books and milk by 7pm. He's normally asleep by 7.15pm.

He doesn't nap in the day anymore and hasn't for about 18 months. He definitely won't at nursery as there is too much going on, but we try and have a quieter time after lunch at the weekend with books and cuddles.

We have tried putting him back in bed if it is too early (before 6am), but he now just keeps coming back through. He won't sleep in our bed at all and just wiggles and kicks. It's manageable during the week as we (not DS) have to be up at 6.15am for work, but we have no chance to catch up on sleep.

He, and both of us, are exhausted. He's got dark circles under his eyes and his behaviour has become more challenging since this started.

DH and I are trying to stay calm and patient, but it's harder the more tired we are. I'm not sleeping well at night so need as much sleep as poss, which means DH is getting up with DS, but this is ultimately unfair!

Help!

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Shattered - more sleep please!

Postby docmaggoo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:00 am

Kate I totally understand how you're feeling. James was a "5.30, I'm up for the day child" until someone recommended a groclock.
There are loads of different sorts out there, but they are sleep trainer clOcks.
We set the time for when it will turn from stars into a bright smily sunshine!
It took James 3 nights for him to learn how it worked but there was no hysterics or crying, when asked "has the sunshine come?" he gently plods back into his room.
Sometimes you can hear him playing but others he has actually gone back to sleep!
He loves it really. And the stars that are on overnight make a lovely nightlight for him!!
There are 2 settings on it for wakeup times. Normally we use it for 7am, but also have a 8am wakeup time in case we know he's over tired and needs more rest (or we do!!)

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:14 am

:hug: Kate,

We have phases like this although now they are shorter lived. I'm not sure what to advise, I do think its a phase that will correct itself given time but its a hard slog. I've often felt like a zombie at work after 3 mornings of 5.30 starts :-?

I like the sound of those clocks Jen recommended, might look into those.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:42 am

Noo has never slept later than 5 since he was born *yawn* we live in hope he will grow out of it :)

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Does your heating go off overnight? Just the temp of our house used to dip quite a lot in early morning. We've found if we keep ours on low overnight it stops the boys waking early. Mind you if we make it too toasty we all oversleep :lol:

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:46 pm

I've been mostly using bribery with RIley to get her to stay in bed. If she wakes up before 6.30, I go in put her back in bed and remind her that if she stays in bed until 7 (or when the sun comes up) then she'll have a nice price with Daddy at the weekend (normally a donut). So far its working, and I might start a reward chart soon.

I've also just bought them a clock for their room, and I'm going to tape over the minutes and keep re-enforcing the number 7.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:01 pm

We have a clock which has been a life saver. India still uses it at the age of 5. She is very compliant though and will not come in before the daytime picture comes up unless she is ill.

We bought this one as I was desperate and it was the only one they had in the shop!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:18 pm

I have the travel version of the kidsleep clock for Ewan. He understands and *usually* doesn't get up until the pic changes. It took him about 2 weeks to change routine. He has certainly started sleeping past 6am more often than not and he has always been an 'up at sparrow fart' child.

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:23 am

Another fan of the groclock here too. DD is 2 and a half and loves it. She understands that if she wakes up and the sun hasn't come up then she should go back to sleep or play quietly. She comes into our room at 7.20 now and she used to be up for the day at 6.00!

Return to Baby and Toddler