Using the same mattress on a 2nd baby

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Using the same mattress on a 2nd baby

Postby Hannahboo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:21 am

Hi ladies,
I know its still very early days for us, but I mentioned to DH the other day that we would need a new mattress for the cot as the advice is to not use the same mattress for subsequent babies due to the higher risk of SIDS, but he thinks it is just a ploy to get people to buy a new mattress? Can anyone give me some more info, or link to where I can read up on this??
It does seem silly to need to buy a new mattress when the one we have will have only been used for about 18-24 months and it cost £200!!!
Obviosuly I would rather buy a new one if that is what the guidelines suggest as would never forgive myself if something went wrong but I can not find any official advice online about it :-?

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Using the same mattress on a 2nd baby

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:45 am

I googled this recently as I was wondering the same thing. From what I can gather the risks are due to the presence of a bacteria or fungus which causes problems with breathing, and has been linked to a higher rate of cot death.
From what I have read there is a difference though between buying a used matress from a car boot sale etc than using the same one for both your own children.
Waterproof covers, proper cleaning and airing, keeping mattress dry (ie avoiding vomit and urine, but also not storing in a garage etc) all contribute.
Personally I am getting a new moses basket mattress for those early days, but once DS goes in the cot at about 6 months old then he will probably have the same cot mattress that DD had.
I can't find any official guidance either, this is just my personal opinion...

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:58 am

While I think that Danika is right, I bought a new mattress for each child despite them being in very good condition. Personally, I don't think it's an area to try and save money when you consider how big the risk could be. If anything had happened to Max as a result of using India's old mattress, I would never have forgiven myself.

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:59 am

I agree with Danika, but also thought and did the same as Caroline. :D

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:02 am

We had planned to buy a new one for Eleanor but as it turned out James has stayed on his cot bed as a toddler bed - so we just bought a cot for Eleanor & it needed a smaller mattress so she did have a new one.

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:07 am

We have a new mattress but only because the old one got ruined, I had every intention of using the same one! I would never use one from someone else but when this was in use it had always had a mattress protector on it. It only got ruined when we left the cot and mattress in the spare room and we got mould :(

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:33 am

We'd got a new mattress for the cot not long before I'd found out I was pg again, it seemed in fair condition and had only been used for about 6 months. I did give the waterproof side a wash with milton. The moses basket mattress was new though, because they're not very expensive and it seemed more important to have a new one for a tiny new baby.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:38 am

I agree, I'm not sure how risky it would have been but I bought a new on anyway as I nevr would have forgiven myself and had anything happened I would have automatically blamed the mattress.

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby weebee » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:44 am

The way I see it, bacteria in mattresses causes a risk to other babies and is linked to SIDS whether it comes from a sibling or an unknown baby. There is also a suggested risk from the indentations left in a mattress which can then affect the next babies sleeping and breathing position. Also, i think posturally it's good to get a new mattress each time to ensure the best support for a babies developing spine. I know i over use a mattress on my own bed but i do want to make sure that my babies mattress is as supportive as possible. That said, i too have a cot bed so Rory will be keeping his own mattress for a long while yet and we'll hopefully need a new cot before then. Plus I think the risk is pretty low but as it is well established and the SIDS rate decreased since people started changing mattresses and sleeping babies feet to foot (or following co-sleeping guidelines) I Personally wouldn't want to take the chance as I'd always blame myself if the worst happened.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler