hf1

Poorly, snuffly baby - what to give him

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Poorly, snuffly baby - what to give him

Postby eviesmummy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:41 pm

Geordie_Girl wrote:Medised is over 2's too so that's out.

Have they changed the ages recently :? I have a bottle in the cupboard for ages 1+ - I swear they make that many changes to things its a PITA :roll:

The Olbas oil we used was specifically for babies and children, it wasnt as strong a smell as the normal one - hope it works.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:42 pm

eviesmummy wrote:
Geordie_Girl wrote:Medised is over 2's too so that's out.

Have they changed the ages recently :? I have a bottle in the cupboard for ages 1+ - I swear they make that many changes to things its a PITA :roll:

The Olbas oil we used was specifically for babies and children, it wasnt as strong a smell as the normal one - hope it works.

yes I think anything that has a seditive in it is now 2+, you can only get it from behind the counter in the chemists now so they can tell you as they haven't changed the packaging

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:17 pm

I have given medised to the girls before, the bottle I have in my cupboard says 1+ and I only bought it a few months ago :roll:

wish they would make up their bloomin minds...

kids olbas oil is good, I put some on a tissue and leave it in the room near the cots but totally out of reach! or I hang it on the radiator if I know I'm going to have the heating on!

Hope the little fella feels better soon

jan x

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:26 pm

Thanks all.

There seem to be so many medicines that just aren't available here :evil: Beechams Powders was the first I ever noticed when I visited years ago, no calpol night, and no kids olbas that I've noticed, but will ahve to check Boots for that to be sure.

My avatar
baby_bufters
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby baby_bufters » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:49 pm

Vicks on his chest, back and soles of his feet

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:11 pm

Medised doesn't contain a decogestant anyway it contains a strong anti-histamine that has a seditive effect. (same ingredients as calpol night and both only suitable over 2)

Anti-histamines do help for colds as they reduce the inflamation in the nose (especially useful at night) so to help his nose you could give piriton which is suitable for over 1s...

Olbas oil do one suitable for younger children - olbas baby or something it's called and smells orangey, less harsh on their small sensitive nasal passages but provided you don't use the adult olbas on his skin or clothes (i.e. use it in a humidifier, oil burner/evapourater, or on his pillow etc) you should be fine.
It's much the same as snufflebabe though so probably won't be any more help than snufflebabe is...

You can also use saline nose drops to help clear the nose of congestion - you can buy drops and there is also a saline nose spray you can buy from most chemists which has a bit more effect I've found... More of a short-term help but it does help.

Calpol helps with snotty noses too as it dilates the various passages etc and reduces inflamation too (hence why it's in ALL adult cold medications)

Other than that unfortunately just ride it out - colds generally last 7 days with medication and 8 days without :)

Hugs tho' it's no fun having a poorly babe :( >:D<

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:38 pm

Thanks Steph. I was wondering whether something like peppermint tea might be any help at all, but it'd obviously have to be cold (or as near as) and probably wouldn't do any good cold. Plus whereas they are allowed fruit teas are they allowed herbal teas?

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:44 pm

I doubt that fruit or herbal tea would act as decongestant unless you were to sit above a steaming bowl of it and even then it would be the steam that would help.
Garlic is a natural "antibiotic" so stick plenty of it in his food.

So what you could do would be to run the shower really hot and drop a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil and sit in the bathroom but that would be short-term.
If you house is cold enough then a bowl of water on the radiator (switched on) would help a bit.
Otherwise, calpol and other product do these plug-in things which work really well.
Elevating his matress slightly by putting a pillow under it will help him breathe better.

Hope he feels better soon.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:17 pm

Geordie_Girl wrote:Thanks Steph. I was wondering whether something like peppermint tea might be any help at all, but it'd obviously have to be cold (or as near as) and probably wouldn't do any good cold. Plus whereas they are allowed fruit teas are they allowed herbal teas?

I'm sure you could give peppermint tea and stick a generous dose of honey in it - you could also give him honey and lemon and both could be as warm as you'd give a bottle I guess?

You might want to do a bit of googling on herbs though incase there are any contraindications...

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler