hf1

Squares Blanket CAL - General Discussion.

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Squares CAL 2017 - General Discussion.

Postby MissFrodo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:50 pm

I use cotton yarn from Drops, Stylecraft is acrylic @clothmama.
Scheepjes does ColorCrafter, bit like Stylecraft but better quality and about the same price.
Not sure what type of yarn you like so hard to give a very good advise ;)
Will have a browse in the Cal patterns you posted tomorrow.
Last edited by clothmama on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title trying to organise the titles a bit!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: CAL's 2017 - Poll added!

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:57 pm

So just been having a better look IF (and please if we/you would rather do other stuff I don't mind, I'm just bad at deciding and I love all these so to me it seems like a good / easy option!). Here is a link to all the info needed including the full list of the 48 squares that they used :love: :drool: :crochet.
http://www.lookatwhatimade.net/crafts/y ... -cal-2014/

The lady on the blog (Look at what I made) crochet's quite tightly and said that with DK and 4mm hook her squares only came out at 7.5-8.5 inches so quite a bit less than the 12 inches (30 cm) but I crochet tight so thinking that that is what I'll end up with too, although could comfortably go up to 5mm I suppose as I'm tight and get closer to the 30cm.

And her finished blanket:
Just amazing :love:
List of colours used - Delameres currently have this yarn on special for GBP 1.69, not sure if cheaper elsewhere.

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:31 pm

I've started this blanket and it's lovely. Really easy to follow.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:12 am

Bugglyboo wrote:I've started this blanket and it's lovely. Really easy to follow.

Oh wow are you really!? Does that make a problem for you if we use squares from it for our CAL - will you just work with us on those months? What yarn are you using Jess - colours etc @Bugglyboo ??

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:15 am

Can you people tell I'm excited :giggle: :giggle: So just been having a closer look at the patterns and actually the reason her squares are small is that the yarn specified for each square is worsted (10 ply) and she is using DK so that is that mystery solved! Also checking out yarns and the Drops stuff that @MissFrodo recommended is the same price, or a few pence less per 100g compared to the Stylecraft DK and I think it would be lovely to do in cotton so I'm thinking if we are going to do this I'll be ordering my yarn in the Drops worsted cotton (80p / 50g ball). I've never done 'squares though - do you think they'll be OK in cotton?

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:47 am

@clothmama cotton is fab for projects like this! Which one are you looking at? Paris?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:38 am

MissFrodo wrote:@clothmama cotton is fab for projects like this! Which one are you looking at? Paris?

Well You #5 seems cheaper but there are not as many colours to choose from so yes I may end up getting Paris. Have you used both Esther - is there a difference @MissFrodo

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:49 am

@clothmama you can use them together, so go for the colors of no5 and add the colors you want from Paris. Look fab together no worries.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:32 pm

MissFrodo wrote:@clothmama you can use them together, so go for the colors of no5 and add the colors you want from Paris. Look fab together no worries.

Oh doh I never thought of that, I can get most from the cheaper one then! What do you think about working on this range of squares are you happy with that Esther @MissFrodo ? I'm thinking I won't order yarn until I find out if this is what we are doing but then realised that that is silly as any 30cm squares we decide will still need complementary yarn! Are you going to order fresh yarn or use from you (large :giggle: from what you have said!) stash?

PreviousNext

Return to Crochet