Blanket Squares CAL - Yarn and colours discussion

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: 2017 CAL - January Flower Burst Square

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:12 pm

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: all ordered and will be on it's way this afternoon (gosh I love UK customer service, here I'd be lucky if they sent it within the week!). Just can't wait to get it so I can start :crochet: I think I might go up and get my ripple blanket and restart work on that as it is a shame it isn't finished and it has been a WIP for over 3 years now and that will keep me going!!

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:11 pm

Can someone just tell me what to go and get from the shop? What is worsted weight? I need cottons or acrylics.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:07 pm

JabberJabber wrote:Can someone just tell me what to go and get from the shop? What is worsted weight? I need cottons or acrylics.

Worsted is Aran or 10 ply depending on your brand! I'm not sure what will be available in the actual shop but the Drops aran cotton (#5 or Paris) is much cheaper than a lot of other brands so if you want to go with cotton then you may be better to get it online. On the link I put above they are only 75p a 50g ball or (1 pound for the Paris). Stylecraft do an aran acrylic which I believe is gbp1.79 a (110g) ball and it is OK for acrylic.

You need to then decide what colours you are going to have. Mine is based on what the lady that I have linked to has used (although subbing similar colours from Drops so I could get the cotton as per my earlier post) and it is 14 colours but 8 of those are in very tiny quantities, so 6 main colours. I decided it was cheaper to go with the Cotton as I only needed to get a 50g ball for them. I ordered 250g of the main colour, 200g of the next 2, 150 g of
the next 4 colours, 100g of the next then just 50 of the rest with a total of 1.75kg.

I have absolutely no idea how far this will get me :hohoho: :hohoho: I know we are talking about 1 square a month but I think I'd like to do 24 squares a this stage. Are you planning to do just 12 squares or more?

I'll know if I've ordered enough (which I highly doubt but it doesn't matter, can just order again later) once I do the first square as I'll be able to weigh it and get a better idea of what my total will be. Acrylic gets you many more metres per 100 g too!

I'd just pick your colours, decide cotton or acrylic and go to shop and buy or order some and see how you go!

Does that help @JabberJabber ?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:12 pm

Wow that is impressive, my order was sent just over an hour after they got it! :shock:

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: 2017 CAL - Yarn and colours discussion

Postby MissFrodo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:32 pm

That's fast @clothmama! I'm doubting if it's cheaper buying there, have to check rates to find out.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:42 pm

MissFrodo wrote:That's fast @clothmama! I'm doubting if it's cheaper buying there, have to check rates to find out.

My 2 orders came out at the same number in euros and pounds but the French order was missing 7 balls (mainly Paris at €1,20 a ball plus €6 postage to add) so definitely cheaper for me to go the UK route (especially as the exchange rate still pretty good if you are buying in euros) 1 GBP =1.17286EUR So say a GBP 30 total wll cost €35,18 so actually not as good as a few weeks ago when it was almost 1.1! You obviously won't get quite that good from your bank / PP though!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:02 pm

I've split out the colours and yarn discussion from the January thread so if people decide to join in later they can find all the info easily :D

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:45 pm

@confusinglady and @girlinleeds have you guys decided what colours / yarn you are using?? (big stick)

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby girlinleeds » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:52 pm

@clothmama I've been so busy at work and don't get paid till Friday, so tomorrow is my day to sit down and work out what I'm doing

PreviousNext

Return to Crochet