hf1

Blanket Squares CAL - Yarn and colours discussion

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: 2017 CAL - January Flower Burst Square

Postby Bugglyboo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:25 pm

Here's my colourway. A bit quirky but it works with what we've got.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:58 pm

MissFrodo wrote:@clothmama I think Stylecraft has a thicker acrylic yarn as well.
:doh: :doh: :doh: I've just spent hours going through all the colours and finding best match from the Stylecraft colours that I love but in the Drops cotton and yes just checked and you are right there are aran as well :giggle: to be fair there aren't all the colours though, a much smaller range than the DK
MissFrodo wrote:I usually order in The Netherlands though your Drops price is cheaper so was :nosey: where you get yours??

It was a French site that I foudn through the Garnstudios website of stockists:
https://mespelotes.com/laine-drops-love-you-5.html
They are having a laugh with postage though @MissFrodo - this is the list for sending to Holland prices (pelotes are balls) :shock: :shock:
Pour une ou deux pelotes : 12.20
De 3 à 4 pelotes : 13.90
De 4 à 10 pelotes : 14.90
De 10 à 20 pelotes : 15.70

I think one of the UK sellers are going to end up cheaper as they have good postage to the EU from UK. Not sure which one is stocking most colours - will update when I finish my research!

Bugglyboo wrote:Here's my colourway. A bit quirky but it works with what we've got.

I think that is lovely Jess! Mine will be far madder with all the colours on the example one! How much yarn have you bought (how many grams)? @Bugglyboo

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:55 pm

OK so I've gone totally crazy with trying to sort out in my head what I need to do to get the look of Dedri's (Look at what I made) but using the aran weight cotton from Drops and where I'm supposed to start / what colours / how much etc! :loopy: :loopy: :loopy: :loopy: :loopy: :loopy: :loopy: Anyway I decided to be methodical and I went through all the colours listed here:
http://www.lookatwhatimade.net/crafts/y ... -cal-2014/
I ignored the actual lengths as at this stage I don't intend to do the whole huge blanket but a smaller version, I just wanted to get an idea of percentages so I can then order based on proportions of each colour! I'm also keeping in mind that if I need to reorder she makes the point that on a project like this tiny differences betwen dye lots won't really show / matter. I took on board her suggestions for pooling some of the very similar colours as well. I thought I'd put all the infor here as a comparison tool between the colours of the Stylecraft Special DK and Drops Love You #5 / Paris (I had to use colours from both collections). For any fuss pots who add it up :lookround: - yes it equals 102% :twisted: :loopy: but that is due to rounding up :giggle:
So here goes! The percentage is how much of that colour for the total squares for the blanket (not including edging or joining as that will be personal choice and just wanted to keep it simple) first name is the Stylecraft colour(s) then , the the Drops colour (and number) I felt was the best match and a photo of the colour, all photos from the Garnstudios website.
Drops #5 http://www.garnstudio.com/dropslovesyou ... n=d&cid=19
Drops Paris http://www.garnstudio.com/yarn.php?id=21&cid=19

20% Sherbert and Cloud -> Drops #5 - Light Blue - 118 Image
The following one was really hard to match, there just wasn't the same purple, if anyone wants to have a look and see if you think there is a better colour let me know!
15% Magenta -> Drops #5 - Heather - 127 Image
14% Turquoise -> Drops #5 - Turquoise - 119 Image
10% Meadow -> Drops Paris - Moss Green - 25 Image
9% Saffron -> Drops #5 - Yellow - 121 Image
9% Pomegranite -> Drops #5 - Cerise - 123 Image
6% Fondant -> Drops Paris - Medium Pink - 33 Image
5% Lavender and Wisteria -> Drops #5 - Lavender - 116 Image
5% Aster and Aspen -> Drops Paris - Light Turquoise - 02 Image
OR Aster -> Drops Paris - Dark Turquoise 010 Image
AND Aspen -> Drops Paris - Opal Green11 Image
3% Lipstick -> Drops #5 - Red 115 - Image
2% Plum -> Drops #5 Purple - 117 Image
2% Shrimp -> Drops Paris - Apricot - 01 Image
2% Clematis -> Drops #5 - Pink - 114 Image
1% Spring Green -> Drops #5 Mint - 125 Image
Not 100% this one is the right one - I'm wondering if the lime Image would be better - neither are an exactish match!

Phew that was hard work but I feel better about what I'm doing now! Although need to see if there are enough colours in the Stylecraft Aran to be able to work with that as wonder if it will wash better / be more cosy. Does anyone know if it is the same softness as the SC Special DK?

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:10 pm

:giggle: :giggle: @clothmama I thought I was nuts you could easily be my twinsis ;)

Love the Dropscolors you picked, no idea about the aran Stylecraft as I've never tried it.
I just realised I have a dentist app thursday in the city and there's a shop that sells yarn, acrylic, for 1 euro 300m.....might check if they have nice colors ;)
Gaah at the postage of that French website, much too high, let me know when you find a good priced one though as I need to get Paris/no 5 to make a new bag.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:18 pm

So I thought I'd have a look at the SC Aran and there were a few colours missing (but only ones that use a tiny amount so not that bad) but realised I think it will cost mroe to do it this way as even though slightly more m / 100 g you have to buy 100g even for the ones you only need a small amount of! I just added what I could and a couple of subs to a shopping cart and this is what it looks like:
Stylecraft Special Aran - Magenta (1084) - 100g Image
Stylecraft Special Aran - Cloud Blue (1019) - 100g Image
Stylecraft Special Aran - Teal (1062) - 100g Image This will totally change the look of the blanket as there is no turquoise!!!
Stylecraft Special Aran - Meadow (1065) - 100g Image
Stylecraft Special Aran - Saffron (1081) - 100g Image
Stylecraft Special Aran - Pomegranate (1083) - 100g Image
Stylecraft Special Aran - Fondant (1241) - 100g Image
Stylecraft Special Aran - Lavender (1188) - 100g Image
You get the idea!
Stylecraft Special Aran - Aster (1003) - 100g
Stylecraft Special Aran - Aster (1003) - 100g
£1.79 £1.79
Remove item
Stylecraft Special Aran - Lipstick (1246) - 100g
Stylecraft Special Aran - Lipstick (1246) - 100g
£1.79 £1.79
Remove item
Stylecraft Special Aran - Plum (1061) - 100g
Stylecraft Special Aran - Plum (1061) - 100g
£1.79 £1.79

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Will do Esther! How is the yarn though, is it soft or does it have that nasty feel to it @MissFrodo ? Can't wait to see what you decide to do! What do you think about the 2 greens at the end - mint or lime if I go the drops route?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Grrrrr first place I've tried to fill up the basket at they are missing some of the coulours :doh: :doh: I think I shall to be and leave it until the morning before continuing my research (why do I have to be so anal and worry about picking the wrong thing :doh: :doh: ).

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:40 am

Personally I love the cotton more it feels nicer but compared to Stylecraft the cheap yarn I wrote about is just as good and much much cheaper so will defo have a look thursday.
Colorwise I like the mint ;)

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:44 am

Just found pics of the colors they have of the yarn I told you about @clothmama, not bad I think.

PreviousNext

Return to Crochet