clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Ripple blanket edging?

Postby clothmama » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:35 pm

Allie wrote:Thanks @clothmama, I think I've mastered the practice piece:

Well done! :thumbsup: :widesmile:

Are they slightly different thickness yarns? It looks like it goes out a bit on the pink section but I counted all your stitches and it all looks good! The only thing I didn't do that she said was tie knots in the joining of the 2 colours of yarn - i thought it left too much of a bobble and felt it better just to do it the normal way. Oh and there is a help / FAQ section ont he blanket and she shows how she threads both ends of yarn together then back out to the edges, I have been doing them individually so as not make it so lumpy iyswim. @al

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:11 pm

clothmama wrote:
Allie wrote:Thanks @clothmama, I think I've mastered the practice piece:

Well done! :thumbsup: :widesmile:

Are they slightly different thickness yarns? It looks like it goes out a bit on the pink section but I counted all your stitches and it all looks good! The only thing I didn't do that she said was tie knots in the joining of the 2 colours of yarn - i thought it left too much of a bobble and felt it better just to do it the normal way. Oh and there is a help / FAQ section ont he blanket and she shows how she threads both ends of yarn together then back out to the edges, I have been doing them individually so as not make it so lumpy iyswim. @al

It's all the same yarn @clothmama, it's self striping. I need to.look at the FAQS as I've started the actual blanket and something isn't quite right :-?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:43 pm

Allie wrote:It's all the same yarn @clothmama, it's self striping. I need to.look at the FAQS as I've started the actual blanket and something isn't quite right :-?

do you want to take a pic and I can have a look for you? Let me have another look at your test too (with my glasses on :hohoho: ) as it doesn't look quite right in that the sides aren't straight (or is that just the picture??) @Allie

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:56 pm

@Allie, I agree with @clothmama could well be a tension issue though with you being so new to crochet. I remember my first ripple blanket having some unevenness but it did come out when I blocked. Could also be your turning chains but I haven't counted your stitches.

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:01 pm

So, a quick look tells me a couple of your stitch counts are iffy (I've only looked at the pink section quickly, the multi coloured bit sends my eyes funny :lol: ).
There is an easier way to get the same look if you're interested and don't mind starting over?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:10 pm

0_Lisa_0 wrote:So, a quick look tells me a couple of your stitch counts are iffy (I've only looked at the pink section quickly, the multi coloured bit sends my eyes funny :lol: ).
There is an easier way to get the same look if you're interested and don't mind starting over?

Oh I'm curious @0_Lisa_0 I'd love to hear of an easier way to do ripple blankets!

0_Lisa_0 wrote:Could also be your turning chains but I haven't counted your stitches.

I just counted top (pink) and the lowest row I could on the other and seemed to be the same stitch count but then I'm a bit blind!

Have you done any more or are you busy doing dinner @Allie ?

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:09 pm

clothmama wrote:
0_Lisa_0 wrote:So, a quick look tells me a couple of your stitch counts are iffy (I've only looked at the pink section quickly, the multi coloured bit sends my eyes funny :lol: ).

Oh I'm curious @0_Lisa_0 I'd love to hear of an easier way to do ripple blankets!

Starting chain needs to be a multiple of 14 plus 8
So the way I do it: ch2 (not a st) DC2TOG (on your foundation ch this will be 3rd chain from your hook) *5 DC, DC 3 IN SAME ST, 5 DC, DC3TOG * rep to last 6, 5 DC, 2DC in last st
Next row: ch2 (not a st), 2 DC in 1st ST, *5DC, DC3TOG, 5DC, 3DC IN SAME ST* rep to last 2

These 2 rows form the pattern (I've just tested it super quickly as I cant find my blog post with it on) but I find this gives a more defined wave than the attic 24 one and you don't need to count because it's easier to see where your stitches should fall.
HTH

This is probably my favourite that I made

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:05 pm

Thanks @clothmama, @0_Lisa_0. I've given up for now and frogged it. My tension is quite uneven still so I'm going to keep practicing swatches until it's a little better then I'll try again.

Previous

Return to Crochet