Shawl for my sister (it's a Virus!)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Shawl for my sister (it's a Virus!)

Postby clothmama » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi, I'm wanting to start straight away on a shawl for my sister. I have bought the yarn today, sadly they only had 3 100g skeins (each one 200m so I have total 600m) left so I got them. I was thinking of the Virus shawl and looked and it said minimum 500m but 7.50 to 1000 better but then that was in sock weight and this is more like DK now I've got home and looked at a conversion chart (they dont' list weight here in the same way).

I'm wondering if another pattern would not be better, I want it to be a decent size to wrap around her when she is having chemo, it will be much easier to get on and off than a cardigan when she is all hooked up. First round starts Saturday and then I have 3 weeks until the next so I really need to get cracking.

Help please @Allie @girlinleeds @autumnalgirl @0_Lisa_0 and any other shawl makers!

OK just looked through some 'shawl'' posts and found yours about the virus (not such a great name now :hohoho: ) and found this Allie:
Allie wrote:For a decent size one about 200g of double knit or approximately 500metres.

So 600m / 300g should be OK???? What size hook should I use??

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Shawl for my sister.

Postby clothmama » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:35 pm

OK, used 4mm as the packet said 3-4mm for that yarn but think it looks too tight and just read bigger hooks will go further. I'm going to use a 5mm and see if that looks better.

Can't wait to hear what you guys use!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Shawl for my sister.

Postby clothmama » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:03 pm

5mm is working well, looks nice and much quicker to :crochet:

I've printed off a chart pattern (never really used one) and a written one. The written one has totally confused me on row 4 and now I can't work out how it works compared to the chart (seems to not match at all!!). what 'pattern' do you use fo rit @Allie:panic: Ignore - I worked it out!!!

Am wondering if I should have gone 5.5mm but too late now!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Shawl for my sister (it's a Virus!)

Postby autumnalgirl » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:24 pm

Sorry, I've never made a shawl so have no useful words. :hug: Is it the cloth sister sister?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:38 pm

autumnalgirl wrote:Sorry, I've never made a shawl so have no useful words. :hug: Is it the cloth sister sister?

No @autumnalgirl it's our biggest sister. Lucy is being very hands on as she is the closest and our other siblings work in health care (or have a wife that does!) so Luc' is being amazing with taking Lou to appointments etc. She has asked me to sew her some hat / scarf things too as she can't sew but she told me of the lovely care pack she is putting together :love: :love: :love: :love:

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:56 am

Sorry @clothmama I've been radio silent for a couple of days getting ready for my surgery. Glad you managed to work it out. Pics needed!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:50 pm

Really pleased, the pattern is actually super easy and I've just finished the 2nd repeat and hardly even need to look! :yahoo:

The photo isn't great, the colors are a bit lighter!

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:51 pm

Looking great @clothmama. It is a really easy pattern and it grows quickly.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:52 pm

Thanks @Allie :widesmile: I'm blown away at how the variagation seems to happen at the perfect places!!!

Next

Return to Crochet