Turkey...

That's as far as I've got at the moment :hohoho:

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: What's your big day menu?

Postby weefywoo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Roast lamb, sausage meat, pigs in blankets, honey glazed parsnips, sprouts, roasties, broccoli

HUGE chocolate mousse cake :love:

And a fruit platter to be eaten at tea time and through the after noon!

I CANNOT wait

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:50 pm

Roast beef and maybe chicken too (the kidlets aren't keen on beef), roast potatoes, parsnips, pigs in blankets, some other veg to be decided on. Gravy made from the meat juices :) yorkies too as we're having beef, yummy.

Not sure in dessert yet. Probably just choccies.

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby bekhi1983 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:00 am

Each year we have a different meat, this year its going to be beef, with yorkshires, stuffing, pigs in blankets, sprouts, mashed carrot and swede, parsnips, green beans, roast potatoes and mashed potatoes. There will be us 4 and my mum and sister. traditional christmas pudding for dessert. For supper it'll be roast beef french bread butties.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:35 am

We eat at around 4.30 in the afternoon. So far I have a rough idea,

Mussels in white wine or soup.

Turkey (cooked as per Delia), homemade stuffing, homemade apple sauce, veg and roasties

Baileys creme brulee.

Yummy :D

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:12 am

I don't know, I'll have to ask my Mum as she's cooking it :lol: We go to hers for the big dinner and i'll help, but there's just no way I could spend all of Christmas day cooking for just my family. We have a dinner usually on the solstice instead, will do turkey, clove studded ham, roast potatoes and champ, mashed carrots and parsnips, braised cabbage, bacon-wrapped sausages, stuffing, gravy and chocolate pecan pie for dessert :D If we have starters at all it will be melon slices but we're too impatient and starving to have starters usually :lol:

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:25 am

Soupdragon wrote:We have a starter as lunch, then have the main course at dinner time.

We do this too, otherwise there's just too much food to fit in :giggle:

Definitely still in the 1970s with our starters/lunch as I'm doing avocados and prawns with Marie Rose sauce plus pate with Melba toast.

Main meal at about 5pm of Turkey and stuffing (probably my own version of forced meat stuffing), with all the usual trimmings - roast spuds, roast parsnips, pigs in blankets, sprouts (mmmm, love sprouts!), carrot and swede mash, plus some other veggies with a big vat of proper gravy.

Haven't decided on pudding yet but might do chocolate fondant puds with ice cream. And a trifle (of course!).

Then we'll be going to my parents on Boxing Day to help 'tidy up' the mountains of food they always have - my mum always does a really nice big roast ham and a raspberry pavlova :drool:

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:02 am

Caroline wrote:We have turkey which is soaked an Xmas flavoured brine overnight and then roasted with maple syrup on the day.

This totally reminds me of Gavin and Stacey!

We're having quite a busy and foodie day, all together.

Up early for stocking presents, with a luxury breakfast (usually scrambled eggs on toast with champagne, but this year may well be a fry up!). Then dressed in our new Christmas outfits and off to church.

Then to my sister's house for Christmas lunch for 7 plus two kids (us three, my mum, my sister, brother-in-law and my neice, and my sisters PILs), which will be nibble-y bits as a starter while we open presents. Thn lunch which I believe is goose this year, with pretty much all the trimmings available, including a mountain of sprouts - yummy.

Then puddin will be my own-recipe Christmas pudding, which is lush, and a banoffee pie for those who don't do pudding (my husband, and BIL).

Then off to PIL's for more presents and nibbles and we'll stay there that night for what will hopefully be a lazy Boxing Day.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:05 pm

It all sounds delicious. I'm thinking we should all do pics of our Xmas lunches and do a 'show me your lunch' thread.

PreviousNext

Return to Christmas Cooking