Making mince pies - when?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Making mince pies - when?

Postby Louise » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:31 am

Cyrillia wrote:Hi Louise,

Just wondering - in your recipe, do 36 mince pies take 3lbs of mincemeat? I'm sorry - I have no idea how much would be a pound! :) Just trying to work out how much I'd need to make as I wouldn't want to end up with tonnes of leftover mincemeat. :D

Thanks,
Sarah

No 3lbs makes tons! I'd probably halve the recipe or perhaps even less if you're only making a few. I tend to make over 200 in total throughout December so I make 3 or 4 lots of mincemeat and that is usually more than enough.

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks for that! :D

My avatar
Connie_334
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Connie_334 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Do you cook them first and then freeze them? I want to make some this year but I'm clueless!!!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:48 pm

Connie_334 wrote:Do you cook them first and then freeze them? I want to make some this year but I'm clueless!!!

If you want to make them in advance then yes. Or you could just make the pastry in advance and freeze that. I make mine in advance, then warm them through and dust with icing sugar before serving.

My avatar
Connie_334
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Connie_334 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks @Louise. I want to take some to pre-school next Tuesday but the weekend is going to be a bit busy so I was thinking of making them tomorrow night and sticking them in the freezer until next week.

Decisions, decisions!!!

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:24 pm

I made all mine yesterday and have them in the freezer.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:22 pm

I am yet to start *any* Christmas baking :eek: :eek: :eek: but am off to soak the fruit for my cake now & hope to start mincemeat tomorrow :baking:

My avatar
Connie_334
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Connie_334 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:32 pm

I'm making Candy Cane Soup this evening.

:merryxmas: :happysanta:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:06 pm

Shaunie wrote:I am yet to start *any* Christmas baking :eek: :eek: :eek: but am off to soak the fruit for my cake now & hope to start mincemeat tomorrow :baking:

I didn't make my own mincemeat this year but obviously made my own pastry. Yesterday I made mince pies, rocky road, and breakfast muffins to go with the cakes and puddings already made. I feel relieved to have some of it already stashed away!

PreviousNext

Return to Christmas Cooking