hf1

Mango chutney

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Mango chutney

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:43 am

I got this recipe from picklenet.com about 10 years ago - the website doesn't exist any more, sadly. It had some great recipes. I've made this chutney as part of Christmas presents for family previously and it's always got good reviews. I'll be knocking up a batch next weekend, probably, as we've just hit mango season here. :)

Makes 1.25 kg (2 ½ lb)

900g mangoes
350g red onion
350g cooking apples
4 cloves
10 black peppercorns
1 dried red chilli
400 ml white vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 tsp black mustard seeds (toasted)
450g granulated sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp allspice (pimento)

Chop the peeled mango into bite sized pieces. Chop the onion. Peel, core and slice the apples.

Put the cloves, peppercorns and chilli in a piece of muslin and tie with string to make a bag. Put the bag into a large pan with the onions, vinegar and bay leaves. Simmer for ten minutes (onions should be soft, but not mushy).

Add the mangoes, apples and mustard seeds. Simmer for a further fifteen minutes until the mangoes are soft. Add sugar, ginger and allspice and bring to the boil. Keep stirring until the mixture resembles thick jam (this may take over an hour. It will be done when you can put a channel in the chutney with a wooden spoon, which doesn’t immediately fill with vinegar).

Spoon into warm, sterilised jars and seal. Store in a dark place for about three months.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Mango chutney

Postby Caroline » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Sounds yummy!

I'm going to try this recipe this year and give some away as gifts.

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:55 pm

I am going to have a go at making this for hubby as he loves curry and would be nice for him to have some homemade mango chutney to go along with it.
Thanks for posting the recipe Nichola :wink:

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:59 pm

Ooh sounds lovely. I have a Sarsons recipe somewhere for lime and chilli pickle I must look it out.

Return to Christmas Cooking