hf1

Christmas Pudding Thread - With Pics!

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Christmas Pudding Thread - With Pics!

Postby Caroline » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:13 pm

I made my Christmas pudding last weekend and have taken some photos along the way for you to see how the mixture looks at various points of the process. I've made this recipe for about 9/10 years now and it always gets rave reviews. Its a Delia Recipe which does call fro a lot of ingredients but please don't let that put you off, it's a doddle to make. This makes 2 900g puddings so you can half or quarter the amount depending on how many you make.

225g shredded suet
225g breadcrumbs (grated or whizzed in the blender)
110g self raising flour
1 heaped teaspoon mixed spice
half a teaspoon grated nutmeg
quarter of a teaspoon ground cinnamon
450g soft brown sugar
250g raisins
250g sultanas
500g currants
50 mixed peel (Waitrose have a really nice ready chopped one in their cook ingredients range)
75g blanched and skinned almonds chopped (I cheat and buy them ready chopped)
1 eating apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
grated rind of both 1 orange and 1 lemon
4 eggs
4 tablespoons rum
150ml barley wine
150ml stout

Grab a BIG bowl and put the suet, breadcrumbs, spices and sugar in, stirring before adding each ingredient. Then mix in the fruit, bit by bit. Then add the peel, nuts, apple and orange and lemon rind.

In a jug beat the eggs then stir in the rum, stout and barley wine. Pour this over into the ingredients in the bowl and stir for as long as you can (or use a mixer). The mixing is really important but hard work!

Leave the bowl overnight, covered by a tea towel so the fruit can soak up all the lovely booze.

Grease your pudding bowls with some butter and fill them up (not all the way to the top as they will rise a little on steaming). Cover the bowls with greaseproof paper and then some muslin.

Steam for 8 hours for a 2lb(900g) pudding bowl or 5 hours for a 1lb(450g) pudding bowl. Keep checking the water levels.

When they are cooked (and still hot) clean the sides of the bowl with a little kitchen paper and then cover with fresh greaseproof paper and muslin.

Store somewhere cool and steam for a couple of hours on Xmas day or cook in the microwave until hot all the way through.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Christmas Pudding Thread - With Pics!

Postby Shaunie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:18 pm

Do you think this would still taste good with less alcohol? If so which would you drop?

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:12 pm

I think the flavour would be compromised if you missed out the alcohol. However, if you drop one I would make it the barley wine but I'm not sure what to replace it with to get the right consistency.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:28 pm

When you leave it over night is it in the fridge or just on the bench?

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:15 pm

Just out on the side Beck.

Return to Christmas Cooking