hf1

Christmas Cake

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Christmas Cake

Postby Shaunie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:53 pm

I have never made a Christmas cake, my Mum used to until recent years and we are going to her this year so I think it would be nice for me to make her cake this year.

Can anyone suggest a recipe please? We don't need a huge one though. Also, when would I need to make it by? I hate marzipan :puke: but Mum likes it but is there anything that can be used as a substitute?

Ta :D

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Christmas Cake

Postby laceybat » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:58 pm

i just type in christmas cake in to google and then picked one lked

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:00 pm

I make my own cake every year and some for family members too! I do have a recipe but will have to try and type it out later or if you PM me your e-mail address I will e-mail you the file :wink: It is actually a recipe my step Mum used for years and I stole it :giggle:

I actually baked our xmas cakes yesterday but I think the norm is 4-6 weeks before you plan to eat it. I usually do ours mid November but did them early this year as I am not going to have much free time once DH goes away with work on Saturday until mind November so wanted to get them done and out of the way :D

I dont have an alternative to marzipan as I love the stuff, but maybe you could just use marzipan on half the cake and decorate each side different so you know which has marzipan and which doesn't :wine:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:04 pm

A fellow cnt mama gave me a fabulous recipe by sainsburys! @monkeyhanger :D

It's so moist! The earlier you make it the longer you have to 'feed' it with booze! I don't like alcoholic Christmas cakes so although I use brandy in the original recipe I don't add anymore after cooking.
Last year I made it mid November and it was fine!

You could always ice it without marzipan but you'd have to do that fairly last minute as I think without marzipan the cake can stain through the icing.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:15 pm

I use Delia's recipe. My mum hates marzipan so I just omitted it from her cake and just iced it. Homemade marzipam is very very different to the nasty yellow coloured shop bought stuff though. :wink:

ETA I make mine in the last week of October usually and then "feed" it with brandy every week until the week before Xmas when I make the marzipan and icing and ice it.

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:16 pm

I have a Rusty Lee recipe its light coloured. If you wanted to make it you would have to start soon as you have to soak the fruit in rum for a few weeks :wine: you don't have to put marzipan on Christmas cake its a personal taste thing.
I have made my cakes from this recipe for the last 6 years and it seems to be fairly fool proof. If you are interested I'll scan the recipe and post it for you. :wine:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:40 pm

My Christmas cake is currently in the oven (late in the year I know!) but I have a timing question. The cake was too big for us last year so I have put less into the cake tin, the remainder is in a loaf tin making a mini cake for my friend so do I need to adjust my cooking times? The cake needs 4.5+ hrs to bake normally.

@Caroline @Louise :widesmile:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:07 pm

@shaunie

What size tin have you got it in and what's the temperature? You need to bake it until a cake tester comes out clean. For a 20cm/8in tin, that can be 2.5 - 3 hours at 130c (ish)

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:16 pm

My teeny cake took slightly less time than the bigger one but not much. I'd keep checking the smaller one after about 2/3 - 3/4 of the recommended cooking time.

Next

Return to Christmas Cooking