hf1

Christmas Cake

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Christmas Cake

Postby Shaunie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:46 pm

It's an 8" tin & a normal sized loaf tin which is only about 1" deep of mixture. Recipe says to cook at 140 for 4.5hrs or so so think I shall test after about 2hrs for the small one :-?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:48 pm

emmavmorgan wrote:I have a Rusty Lee recipe its light coloured. If you wanted to make it you would have to start soon as you have to soak the fruit in rum for a few weeks :wine: you don't have to put marzipan on Christmas cake its a personal taste thing.
I have made my cakes from this recipe for the last 6 years and it seems to be fairly fool proof. If you are interested I'll scan the recipe and post it for you. :wine:

@emmavmorgan could you send me three recipe please i don't like dark cashes

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:07 pm

@gilbertandmartha no problem will do it a bit later when the winks are out of the shower

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:53 pm

Scanners not working :evil:

Ingredients
900g Plain Flour
900g Mixed fruit
450g Sultanas
450g Butter
450g Soft brown muscavado sugar
225g Stoned raisins
225 Currents
110g Chopped cherries
100g Ground almonds
10 eggs
1 tbsp Caramel colour (I never use this)
1 Dsp Cinnamon
1 Dsp Vanilla essence
1 Dsp rum flavouring (i never use this)
1 Dsp nutmeg
1 Bottle of rum or ruby wine + extra for after cake is cooked
(as long as the dried fruit weighs 1,800g you can put in what you like. This year mine has figs, cranberries, apricots and mixed fruit)
Method

1) If you have time, get a large container wit a lid to hold all the fruit. Pour in bottle of Rum or Ruby wine and leave for 1-6 weeks. If you have no time pour wine over fruit in a large sauce pan and cook for about 6 mins.

2) If you have soaked the fruit put in sauce pan cover and simmer for 10 mins stirring occasionally (if not soaking fruit turn heat down to a simmer and cook for a further 10 mins). All the liquid should disappear into the fruit

3) Cream butter and sugar together until mix its fluffy, gradually add eggs and caramel colouring.

4) Mix the ground almonds, cinnamon and nutmeg into the flour. Add dry ingredients into the mix and fold in gently

5) mix fruit into cake batter adding the vanilla essence and rum flavouring place in a well lined tin

6) Bake at 180 for 25 mins the lower to 150 for approx 1hr 40mins.

7) Allow to cool for about 15mins then pour over 2 cups of rum

8) when cakes are cool wrap in grease proof paper and foil if you have time feed the cake more rum.

This mix makes 4 medium cakes so I would suggest halving it to get one family sized cake.

Hope that helps
:hug:

Previous

Return to Christmas Cooking