hf1

What's your big day menu?

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

What's your big day menu?

Postby Caroline » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:43 pm

We don't have a starter here as my DH finds it too filling and I think he is a bit impatient to wait for the main event. So my menu for this year is mainly Nigella based (but things I have cooked before).

We have turkey which is soaked an Xmas flavoured brine overnight and then roasted with maple syrup on the day. Red cabbage braised in red wine, roast parsnips, sprouts with pancetta and chestnuts, roasted carrots and roast potatoes. There will be some sort of mini sausage with bacon. I'm not doing any stuffing as I'm the only one who really likes it. I will make a traditional gravy from the giblets.

Pudding is Delia's Xmas pudding which has been sat maturing in the cupboard for a couple of months and served with clotted cream.

So what are you having or are you all coming here :giggle:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: What's your big day menu?

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:47 pm

We order a goose from the farm, delish and have the trimmings, will prob have christmas red cabbage and the other norm things. Starter humm not sure this year

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:51 pm

We are having a Jamie Oliver inspired meal.

Turkey crown with pork and herb stuffing, chipolatas in streaky bacon, roasted veg (carrots, parsnips, fennel), roast potatoes, sprouts and gravy.

We will then have a chocolate roulade with cherry compote.

We'll be eating about 1pm ish, so will have had breakfast and fed the boy some snacks during the morning.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:51 pm

Just thinking about this very topic!

We have a starter as lunch, then have the main course at dinner time. DH has requested prawns this year, so we'll be having grilled prawns with bread and salad at lunchtime. For dinner, I think I'll glaze a ham. And do that with some spuds and veggies. Not sure what yet ... Then dessert will be a chocolate log.

DH keeps threatening to barbecue the prawns. :roll: But given it's barely got above 21c for the past month or so, I doubt that will be happening! Don't know where summer's gone this year.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:53 pm

Nom! :cake:

We eat mid afternoon, around 3-4pm

Starter here is home made vegetable broth made to grandma's recipe with oven baked roll

Main is Quorn roast, roast potatoes, yorkshire puddings (Aunt Bessies this year as only us 3 eating) Broccoli & cauliflower. Peas & corn. Carrot & Suede mash. Gravy

Dessert i am undecided on... i am thinking either a hot pudding like sticky toffee/chocolate and custard or cold like a Pavlova type thing.

I am not going all out this year or making the dessert, i did a big home made christmas for the family last year and made everything from scratch but with it just being us 3 this year i fancy an easy one so will be buying it in :thumbsup:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:01 pm

It's just the 3 of us this year.Dh hates turkey so we'll probably have chicken, roast parsnips and potatoes,stir fried sprouts with bacon, carrots,stuffing, sausagesin bacon. Dessert - not sure yet but probably sticky toffee or chocolate pudding as I'm the only one that likes christmas pud. We tend to have brunch and then eat about 3 and skip evening meal.That may change this year tho as church is 10.30 so it'll be breakfast not brunch so not sure what time we'll have the main meal.dh hates eating at lunchtime.
Last edited by lazylexis on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:07 pm

This is making me hungry!!!!

This Christmas will be the biggest Christmas Day dinner I've ever cooked. 3 adults & 2 little ones!

We've got; turkey from our local butchers with bacon, lemon & parsley stuffing (because my dad can't eat onions so sage & onion is off the menu) roasted potatoes, roasted veg (carrots, parsnips) Brussels, homemade pigs in blankets & gravy.

Homemade Christmas pudding & homemade Christmas cake for afters.

We tend to have an early breakfast, snacks mid morning, then dinner at around 1-2. With Christmas 'tea' later on- usually bread, cheese, salad, snacks etc!

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Nommm. Pretty traditional here - we are cooking for 5 adults and 4 children. We normally eat 3-4pm with a big late breakfast and snacks before that.

Stuffed turkey crown, with extra stuffing, roast potatoes and parsnips, carrots and sprouts, and sausages with bacon.

Not decided on pudding yet. No-one really likes Xmas pud but we normally get it anyway :roll: Maybe get a chocolate something instead.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:15 pm

I'm coming to yours room for a little one ?

Next

Return to Christmas Cooking