hf1

Christmas cake icing

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Christmas cake icing

Postby Shaunie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:45 pm

I made my cake a while ago then covered it in homemade marzipan. I then decided to make a fondant icing which tastes fine but does not look good so will get the boys to help decorate it I think!

It's currently in a tin, should I also cover it? Will it be OK in there or am I neglecting my 1st homemade Christmas cake?

My avatar
bekhi1983
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Christmas cake icing

Postby bekhi1983 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:50 pm

Watching with interest as I've made my first this year. Although was just going to cover it in ready to roll marzipan and icing :oops: a few days apart at some point over the next week. I'm glad you've brought this up as going to do the weekly food shop after school and had completely forgot about the cake :doh:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:54 pm

I made the marzipan because I don't really like it but people said homemade stuff is nicer and I think it is. I would sore no points on applying the marzipan or fondant icing though :oops:

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:04 pm

I'm just trying to think what DH does as he always makes the Christmas cakes, christmas puds etc... :lookround:
I know he usually keeps it in a tin pre marzipan & icing to keep the cake moist, but airs it for an hour or so daily so that the air circulates & the cake doesn't go mouldy :roll:
From memory he usually puts the marzipan on first (& uses it as a filler for any uneven surfaces :giggle: ) then brushes some warm apricot jam over it ( to act as glue) before covering it with the fondant icing - on the same day.
Once the icing is on, he leaves it uncovered for 24hrs to set/harden before decorating it - usually with edible glitter.
After that, we only usually loosely cover the cake with tinfoil, as the icing keeps both the marzipan and the cake moist :widesmile: :cake:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:12 pm

I would leave it uncovered for a while for the icing to go off and then put it in a tin until I wanted it (which might not be too long :cake: :oops: ).

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:20 pm

I make royal icing for ours, have been making Xmas cake for years now. The marzipan needs to harden and then you ice (I'll do ours tomorrow probably) and leave that to harden too. The apricot jam is used to stick the marzipan on, on my cake anyway. The icing just gets spread on top of that.

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:45 pm

I leave my Christmas cake uniced and in a tin, lined with brown paper, and feed it with lots of booze to keep it moist and preserve it.

I marzipan and ice it a day or two before I'm going to need it.

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:05 pm

ladybird wrote:The apricot jam is used to stick the marzipan on, on my cake anyway. The icing just gets spread on top of that.

Maybe it's that way round in our house too :oops:
DH's mum used to make cakes professionally, so he's always got much more of a clue than me when it comes to decorating cakes :wink:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:16 pm

doobykat wrote:
ladybird wrote:The apricot jam is used to stick the marzipan on, on my cake anyway. The icing just gets spread on top of that.

Maybe it's that way round in our house too :oops:
DH's mum used to make cakes professionally, so he's always got much more of a clue than me when it comes to decorating cakes :wink:

I don't use fondant icing though, if it's the stuff I'm thinking of it's horrid imho :lookround:

Next

Return to Christmas Cooking