hf1

Help! Chocolate mousse recipe or christmas is over :(

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Help! Chocolate mousse recipe or christmas is over :(

Postby weefywoo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:45 pm

Waitrose kindly informed me yesterday that the amazing cake I ordered is no longer available :loopy:

I've been googling chocolate mousse cake recipes and made one last night, it was disgusting! Too sour and dark chcolate like... Does anyone have one for me

My avatar
busybee
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Help! Chocolate mousse recipe or christmas is over :(

Postby busybee » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:46 pm

used to have one in a Nigel Slater recipe book. Which recipe did you try? I'll look the book out after the wee ones are in bed tonight if you want :)

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:51 pm

I have never made one so I can't recommend a recipe. Have you looked on the bbc good food website as it has reviews which I find very helpful.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Does it have to be a chocolate mousse? My 3 don't like Christmas pudding so I either make a chocolate ice cream pudding or chocolate sponge pudding with sauce (both are in Nigella's Xmas book and are yummy)

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:49 pm

The only mousse recipe I use is a little boozy, not sure what youcan substitute it with, I guess maybe orang juice, if you like choc/orange flavour?

300ml single cream
200g dark choc (min 60% cocoa solids)
2 eggs
2 tbsp Marsala

Heat the cream until almost boiling (3 mins-ish). And break up th chocolate pieces. Put the cream in the lender and add the choc peices, whizz until smooth. Pour in the eggs and blitz again, then add the Marsala.

The longer you whizz, the more bubbly it will be.

Then pour into ramekins/serving dish, allow to cool, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:18 pm

There's a Nigella recipe in (I think) Feast. Takes about 8 eggs though... I liked it when I did it.

Also have a nice Delia recipe for ordinary chocolate mousse, which is for 4, but perfectly scalable - trouble it, using uncooked egg it's not a good idea for various people (young children and pregnant people etc).

Which recipe did you use? Can you post it? Could you adapt it by using a mixture of milk and dark chocolate, rather than just dark (if it was all dark you used)?

ETA: just noticed age of OP. Oh well.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:41 pm

no advice, but ill have your 'disgusting' dark choc one. i lurve dark chocolate. whip it in an envelope and sent it over please ;)

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:24 pm

epsilon1 wrote:ETA: just noticed age of OP. Oh well.

:hohoho: :hohoho: i did wonder why Frances was panicking about Christmas in September :giggle:

Return to Christmas Cooking