hf1

Pastry help please *PICS PG 1*

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Pastry help please *PICS PG 1*

Postby Shaunie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:20 pm

I made the pastry today for my mince pies, my 1st time making pastry! I thhought the pastry was a little too crumbly so any advice how to improve it would be welcome.

Also, they stuck to the baking tin even though I smeared them with butter 1st - how can I avoid this. It's a good job I have plenty mincemeat left to make some more! I may have to eat the crumbly ones that have fallen apart during scraping out of the tin :oops: :lookround:

Last edited by Shaunie on Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Pastry help please

Postby fivefourfour » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:26 pm

If they are crumbly, the mixture was possibly a bit dry, this would also explain why they stuck, as they would have absorbed the butter. I would add a little more moisture. What recipe are you using?

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:04 pm

It's this http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/STA ... -PIES-5238

I did wonder if it needed more liquid but I didn't want it to become too soggy. I shall try again tomorrow. I still have half the pastry left in the fridge - would that be OK to use (with added water) ro shall I start from scratch?

My avatar
willowherb
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby willowherb » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:13 pm

I think you might have to start from scratch Im not sure how well the liquid would combine now :-? My mums rule she uses is double the amount of flour to butter e.g. 2oz butter 4oz flour, if thats any help?

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:16 pm

willowherb wrote:I think you might have to start from scratch Im not sure how well the liquid would combine now :-? My mums rule she uses is double the amount of flour to butter e.g. 2oz butter 4oz flour, if thats any help?

That would be right - recipe said 240g flour, 60g trex & 60g butter :thumbsup:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:18 pm

That's the recipe I use. If the OJ isnt enough to make the dough form in the mixer I add a very small amount of cold water until the dough starts to form a ball.

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:19 pm

I always dust my buttered tins with flour I know most only do it for cakes but it's what my Nan did so ... (under that assumption I should have a chenille toilet seat cover :lol:)
I'd say it was butter you wanted in the mix prehaps add a smige more.
Also I think Trex is nasty stuff I know lots of people use it but yuk. Sorry just my opinion.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:22 pm

Caroline wrote:That's the recipe I use. If the OJ isnt enough to make the dough form in the mixer I add a very small amount of cold water until the dough starts to form a ball.

I only had a satsuma :giggle: :oops: but had some water in the fridge to use too :lookround:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:26 pm

You may have rolled it too thin. Its quite a crumbly pastry anyway and the heavy mincemeat might not have been able to hold it all.

Next

Return to Christmas Cooking