hf1

Beeswax candles

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Beeswax candles

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Beeswax candles are easy to make, and nice to light in the darkening evenings. Beeswax smells nicer than paraffin candles, burns longer, and is considered an eco-alternative to paraffin wax, although the bees do work very hard to make their wax! You can also make them pretty much any size, and smaller children can decorate them with bits of coloured beeswax.

You will need beeswax sheets and wick. These can be bought from most craft shops, as well as lots of places on line, in natural colours or dyed colours.

I like this tutorial
http://www.candlehelp.com/?content=rolledbees

I think I've got some beeswax sheets stashed away somewhere, if you do too, get rolling and post your funky candle pics on here! :mrgreen:

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Beeswax candles

Postby scarlet » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:25 pm

These look fab, will have to give it a go! :wine:

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby teganplus2 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Saw these on Kirsty's channel 4 show the other night and thought they looked fab, might have to give them a go xx

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:47 pm

teganplus2 wrote:Saw these on Kirsty's channel 4 show the other night and thought they looked fab, might have to give them a go xx

I saw that too - looked good!!

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:54 pm

These look fab. Love the honeycomb look to them on the outside.

My avatar
Popster
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Popster » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:38 pm

when we make them, we give them a good old roll, a bit like using a rolling pin action, with them to compress the layers together a bit. It seems to help make a firmer candle and hence a better burning candle.

I think it's fine for anyone of any age to decorate them with bits of coloured beeswax. My friends and I enjoy it as much as our small ones do :giggle:

Return to Christmas Crafts