hf1

Giving signals/ telling you they need to go

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Giving signals/ telling you they need to go

Postby Mungo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:09 pm

I started ECing part time with DS when he was around 8 or 9 months (he's now 16 months). He loves sitting on his potty and does most of his poos in it (he has a very definite 'poo face' so it's easy to tell when he needs to go :giggle: ) but with wees it's more a matter of luck/timing. I use a cue sound (pssss) and always tell him 'you're doing a wee wee/poo poo) and also show him in the potty after he's gone. He's now started repeating 'wee wee' and 'poo poo' and seems to know what they are. But I'm not sure he knows he's going, iyswim, and he's never signalled in any way when he needs to go.

Will it just come with time? Am I doing the right things to help him?

My avatar
mamavan2
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Giving signals/ telling you they need to go

Postby mamavan2 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Mungo wrote:He loves sitting on his potty and does most of his poos in it (he has a very definite 'poo face' so it's easy to tell when he needs to go ) but with wees it's more a matter of luck/timing. I use a cue sound (pssss) and always tell him 'you're doing a wee wee/poo poo) and also show him in the potty after he's gone.

It sounds like me with DD1 :giggle: .

Mungo wrote:Will it just come with time? Am I doing the right things to help him?

Yes and yes.
My experience
At around 18 months she started to go to the potty on her own. Since she had no idea how here pants worked, she has had lots of diaper free time. I just bought here some legwarmers and put a long shirt on top of it.
It has been a time with up's and down's but as long she was 'naked' and there was a potty around she knew very wel wath to do.
The night before here sister was born she decided she didn't neet a nappy at night any more! She was 2y 4m.
She is now 3y 2m and still dry day and night.

He will let you know when he is ready :thumbsup:

Good luck

Return to Elimination Communication