Glowing wall willies - help! Update and pic page 7

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Glowing wall willies - help! Update and pic page 7

Postby clothmama » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:59 am

:panic: the house we are renting has high cathedral ceilings so nearly all the lights are wall fitted ones. However they don't have any shades on them at all and have all had energy saver bulbs fitted so basically my house looks like it is covered with glowing willies sticking out of the walls :hohoho: !!!

For the life of me I can't think of any purchasable shade that would go on them so was thinking of making something - has anyone got any ideas of either something cheap I could buy and use (or change a bit to make them fit) or something I can make from scratch to cover them?

Has anyone else had such a problem :lookround: :lookround: ?

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Glowing wall willies - help!

Postby eviesmummy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:24 am

:lookround: hmmm no glowing willies here :lookround: Found this tutorial for making your own lampshades though http://www.channel4.com/4homes/how-to/c ... -lampshade

I was going to suggest you replace them with energy saving candle bulbs but the ones I am finding all look like short fat willies :lookround:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:28 am

eviesmummy wrote:I was going to suggest you replace them with energy saving candle bulbs but the ones I am finding all look like short fat willies :lookround:

At least the ones in there are full sized :wink: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

I'm not sure that that shaped lamp shade would work, there must be soemthing I can do. If I was in France I'd get the really old canal roofing tiles, cut slits in them and then hang them off rope at an angle - it looks fab but wouldn't be the same with some bright red new tile :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:32 am

I wonder if I could get those cheap and light round paper Ikea shades to attach somehow?

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:05 am

Are they at 90 degrees to the wall? Or do they stick up vertically? Could you make some kind of wooden frame and staple fabric to it?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:08 am

I'm sure I've seen wall lampshades at places like B&Q and Wickes so you might be able to buy some over there.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:19 am

fluffy_mummy wrote:Are they at 90 degrees to the wall? Or do they stick up vertically? Could you make some kind of wooden frame and staple fabric to it?

The stick out at 90 degrees. I wonder if I could make a frame that is not a bad idea I'll have a think and play. If I make it light enough I can attach it with those mark free velcro tabs that are so good in rentals! Thanks great idea! :yahoo:

What sort of shape are they @Louise?

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Sorry Tory but I am actually LOL'ing at your glowing willies coming out of the walls.
:hohoho: :loopy:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:46 pm

dawnsmummy wrote:Sorry Tory but I am actually LOL'ing at your glowing willies coming out of the walls.
:hohoho: :loopy:

:giggle:

The ones we have had before in rental properties have been like these two -

I think it would be fairly easy to make an uplighter like the second one if you can't buy anything like it.

Next

Return to Home Improvements