hf1

P*d off with cleaner!

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

P*d off with cleaner!

Postby jclmellor » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:15 pm

so i'm 33 weeks preggers, knackered, with not much maternity leave and the house needed a blitz clean before babba arrives (it hasn't been done in 3 months!), so hubby said we could get a cleaner for 4-5 hours for today as a treat for me :thumbsup:

so i found a cleaner on gumtree (as none of my friends could recommend one), she sounded experienced, we had a chat beforehand and all seemed good. she came today and got started after i had explained what we needed (just the basics: dusting, hoovering, mopping etc - nothing fancy). i was working downstairs and she sounded busy upstairs and then i had to pop out. i came back just as she'd finished so said thanks and paid her for 4 hours (she worked about 3 and a bit hours but i wanted to be generous in case we ask her to work for us again). i had a look at the cleaning and it's still quite messy! the bathroom floor, toilet and sink weren't cleaned at all, neither was the sink or floor in the kitchen and she's hoovered around furniture and cleaned around kitchen items rather than cleaning underneath so there's still lots of dust and dirt around. i don't know what she was doing the whole time because it's only a tiny house. i'm so disappointed as i thought cleaning the sink and floor was basic for a cleaner to do?!?!?! i don't have very high cleaning standards (!) but maybe we were just unlucky and hired an untidy cleaner who works slowly... she only charges £7 p/h so it was only £28 for the 4 hours but i'm still disappointed as i had expected the house would be as clean as when i blitz clean it.

does anyone else have any experiences?!?!?!

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: P*d off with cleaner!

Postby laceybat » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:20 pm

I'm a cleaner i work in a care home andwe do all the normal things like clean sinks move things and hover underthem and move them back and genral things like that and then the really deep cleans

i would phone her and ask if she could tell me what she had done as you couldn't tell' :evil:

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:21 pm

Thats rubbish - she should most certainly have done sinks, floors, toilet etc. I would expect her to move anything easy to move (like a coffee table) but wouldnt expect her to pull the sofa out unless you had detailed that you wanted a full deep clean iykwim.

My cleaner used to do under the bed (massive oak beast) once a month, pull the sofas etc out once a month too, just on different weeks so it was 'as she went' i never asked her to, its just what she used to do. Same with windows, if she saw they needed doing, she did them as long as the basics had been done. I do think cleaning is very personal and it did take us a little while to understand what to expect of each other, she does things differently to how i would and i had to learn to respect that (control freak) but the house was still clean, that was never an issue.

If i were you hun i would give her a call, tell her that from your conversation you expected the bathroom etc to be cleaned and that youre not happy, you over paid her as a gesture of good will but dont feel the job was upto standard. See what she says, if i were her i would be back round to put it right... if she wants any future work.

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jclmellor » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:46 pm

i'm too chicken to phone her to complain but deffo not asking her back again if we ever need a clean again. :-( would rather try someone else from gumtree.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:56 pm

Stick an advert in your local post office/supermarket, thats what i did, got a nice local girl who had local references etc.

My avatar
emsy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Pissed off with cleaner!

Postby emsy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:04 pm

I would be so cross aswell :( i get annoyed at Dh for wiping round the kitchen appliances on the worktops rather than under i would defo expect more from a cleaner than that !
i wonder what she did for all that time and to not even clean the sinks :nono:
i would have to complain :x

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:04 pm

Id definatly check references next time you hire someone, or get someone from an agency, at least it would be easier to complain to a manager if the cleaner was no good!

PITA though :(

Return to Home Improvements